Wiring XLR to mono Jack help?

orson198305

Hello, i just bought a tascam portastudio for ideas etc, it has no balanced i/p's. I just want to connect a SM57 to a mono jack i/p. How do i wire this. I've looked on the net but it's just filled my head with jargon - i just need to know which pins to use and if i have to join 2 xlr pins or what for this application.

Thanks

Wiring balanced to unbalanced is usually done by twisting the wires from pins 1 and 3 together at the TS (unbalanced) connector end and soldering them to the sleeve connection. For connecting a mic to an unbalanced input like that, you will probably get much better results using one of these, which in addition to making the conversion from XLR to 1/4" TS also has a transformer which changes the impedance so your mic can interface with the Portastudio 1/4" inputs properly. It should sound much better than just using an XLR-1/4" cable.

An outboard preamp with XLR inputs would be a better solution, but more money. The 8201 will do you just fine until you can or want to upgrade your setup.

Depending on the impedance of the input, you might need a line transformer. You can get these things at Rat Shack for about $20. You can also buy xlr to 1/4 cables.

Back