Wiring XLR Connector Question

moelar2

Clearly, wiring isn't my thing. I feel like such a moron, but here it goes:

I bought mogami snake cable. Eeach cable has shield, hot, and cold. Each XLR connector on my panel has 3 pins, PLUS a 4th one beneath the pins.

Questions:

Mogami cable has loose "wire" surrounding [what I presume to be] the shield. do I wrap these together and connect them to pin 1, OR, do I connect the loose wire the 4th pin and the shied to 1??

In my pic, 4th = ? What the heck is that there for??

Thanks...

Attachments

• xlr-input.gif
    xlr-input.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 60
moelar2 said:
Clearly, wiring isn't my thing. I feel like such a moron, but here it goes:

I bought mogami snake cable. Eeach cable has shield, hot, and cold. Each XLR connector on my panel has 3 pins, PLUS a 4th one beneath the pins.

Questions:

Mogami cable has loose "wire" surrounding [what I presume to be] the shield. do I wrap these together and connect them to pin 1, OR, do I connect the loose wire the 4th pin and the shied to 1??

In my pic, 4th = ? What the heck is that there for??

Thanks...

When you say shield you mean the cable has a foil shield, and braided wire around that? Connect the braided wire to pin 1.

The "4th" pin is a chassis connection (to the connector casing) and is optional. In fact I believe is not recommended to be connected.

here's a pic of the wire. currently im merging braided with encased and connecting both to #1

Attachments

• cable e.jpg
    cable e.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Back