wiring question

cat-eggs

hi pals,

i'm trying to go like this:

turntable ---> receiver ---> soundcard

but the problem is that my receiver only has spring terminal outputs. is there a way to adapt the terminals to a more usable kind of output? like rca?

thanks,
ms. merideth butt

I don't know what "spring terminal outputs" are but if there is an adapter for it then Radio Shack probably has it ...if possible take your receiver to Radio Shack and visually check out the possibilities...WARNING: Don't expect the sales person to automatically give you the right part (even if they confindently choose something for you) but figure on having to use a lot of your own logic to get the right part and keep up with your packaging and receipt, in case you have to return the part (I had a situation where I was trying to convert stereo to mono on a portable CD Player, to play through my crummy car cassette player, I took the player and connectors with me and explained to the sale guy what I was trying to do and the guy gave me a mono to stereo, the exact opposite of what I needed)

You don't want to send the speaker output of the stereo to the soundcard ... that's a sure way of letting the magic smoke out. Once the magic smoke comes out .... things stop working.
You can use the speaker out's, but you would need a load resistor in series with the + lead.
Or, if the stereo has a Pre amp out .... use that.
If you have a tape deck that has record level control (makes for a preamp in a pinch) ... you could run the Turntable to the Record In and then run the Play out to the soundcard. Then Arm the deck to Record (Record + Pause) and adjust the Record level on the Tape deck to get a good signal.
Then you can get one of these cables to run from the Play out to the soundcard.

thanks for responding, guys. i found most of that confusing, but then.. i'm partially retarded. please let me refine my question with the following picture of my receiver:

receiver.jpg

i have a separate preamp for my table, but i don't wanna use it because i can't figure out how to ground it to my table and there's a constant ground loop buzzzzzzz. (my table has no ground wire). so i wanted to use this receiver instead to power my table. is there some way to listen to my records through my soundcard with this receiver?

thanks again

Back