wiring cams

As mentioned on another thread... the "doghouse" behind the console table has 5U of space, four definately are ADC patch bays. The last 1U could be another ADC patch bay, but then I'm faced with custom cables for wordclock, akainet, and a variety of other things, so instead I decided to use Leviton "Quickport" for this particular bay, but the problem was finding a rackmount version of the quickport stuff. I spent a couple of weeks suffering with the idea that the leviton 1U panel was going to cost me about $45-60 depending where I was looking... until I wandered over to ebay. $15. Woot! Should have done that originally but I guess my brain isn't working.

Today (sat) doesn't look like I'll have much time to get anything done.... but tomorrow is looking pretty good and since the weather should hold out (cold, but no precipitation), I'll heave the large spool of snake cable out and start that process. Snaking should go pretty quickly.... soldering will be tedious. I still have to unload the wiring snips off the patch bays, I keep procrastinating that.

THough I found it goes quicker with a blow torch LMAO.

Yeah, I need a crate of interns to desolder these bays.

Anyway, about to hop into the crawl space and bore large holes (cam2)

If that's you watching at 12:20 est, back in 5 minutes with my other drill.

That is a pretty good sized hole saw...hope that thing doesn't take a bite and have it's way with your wrist :D

4".

I've bored through 1/2" steel plate with it before, in a hand drill (slowly, with tons of cutting fluid). No problem.

Just that the shaft didnt' fit into that drill. I had to get my other drill, which seemingly doesn't work, so I'm taking it apart now.

okay, off to home depot to get a chuck. Boring webcam views until I get back (about 15 minutes or so). Sorry, been one of those days LMAO

Ha ha. The instructions were absolutely useless anyway. They stated to remove the screw, by turning it counterclockwise, the normal way you'd remove a screw. I read that several times but the screw wouldn't budge. On a whim, I turned it to tighten it, and it comes right out. Reverse threads. Stupid, ignorant instruction writing monkeys.

Anyway, I'm done for a while... I need a cold frothy beverage. Got the hold in the studio wall behind the doghouse drilled:

IM001464.JPG

And wired up the cat-5's for ethernet and rs422. Oh, bend your neck 90 degrees to your right. The picture is rotated wrong. Oh well.

IM001465.JPG

Lookin real fine there frederic..man I wish I was that far along. Soon though. As soon as I finish this damn "soundproof" computer cabinet :rolleyes: Yea, right. Then theres only 50 or 60 other projects to finish :) Right?

I'll heave the large spool of snake cable out and start that process
Hey frederic, let me know if you have any left and want to sell it. I'm almost to the point of wiring the console up to the multitracks. I need a total 16 sends, and 36 returns. All about 30 feet long. My tape machines are in a soffited machine closet at the rear of the room. So all the snakes have to be that long to reach. Do you think thats too long for unbalanced lines?
fitZ

Thanks Rick.

I should have some snake cable left, but it depends if I use leftover snake cable from the console table to the doghouse. When I bought the 500' I got a deal so I took a guess that 500' "is more than enough" and it's enough, but I'm not sure until I start snaking how close it will be. You certainly can have first dibs on the extra.

30 feet is not too long for unbalanced cable. I've run longer and gotten away with it. However. I used 75 ohm coax :D The answer is it really depends where you are snaking the cable, and over what. It's a long run, but if it's not over electrical, or parallel to anything noisy, you may be okay. Sends and returns are rarely balanced, but I figure your multitracks would be?

If the gear isn't balanced, running balanced cable doesn't buy you anything unless you are into converters and/or bauluns.

Wild guess Rick... before I make snakes from the console table to the doghouse, I think I'll have about 200' or so left over. So I'll let you know what's left and we can go from there.

The producer's desk is going to be wired with single pair microphone cable, so I don't need any snake cable for that. I have a 1500' roll coming for that project (patch bays to gear). That reminds me, I have to make a decision on TRS plugs.

Thanks a lot frederic. Yea, if it was reasonably priced, I was going to use one the balanced cable like a quasi balanced for unbalanced signals. I think Steve told me about it....wait, that was mic cables....hmmmm, anyway, back to work on the soundproof computor cab. Almost finished. Just have to make the plenums and exhaust manifolds and mount the fans...oh, and build the sealed door......oh, and drill the exhaust holes.....oh and cut/fasten the back...oh, and string the LED's/....and mount the 12v converter........oh, and mount the power bay/strips.....oh, and mount the belly lighting strip.....fuck, therer goes sunday. :)

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
mount the belly lighting strip.....fuck, therer goes sunday. :)

The stuff I have you'd like. It's extremely low capacitance unlabeled Mogami (OEM).

Today is shot too... I was off baby duty at 2pm and was going to spend the day running snake cable, but it seems I haven't done my "chores" for the week so my wife is nagging me to do them. Since "Boo" is sleeping, maybe I'll get a headstart.

I want the snaking done today. Then I can insulate the crawl space and not freeze my studio anymore. Oh, that reminds me, I have to drop an electrical box into the eave for the eventual driveway webcam.

Back