wireless stage monitors??

mutt

Has anyone had any experience with those wireless ear bud type monitor setups that it seems all the pro acts are using on stage?

Looking at the wireless mic setups in music catalogs, it appears that some of the wireless mics have headsets with earphones. Are you able to somehow connect these to your monitor output and hear you monitor mix over the headset?? Or do you have to have a separate transmitter connected to your monitor output that would send the same signal to a bunch of wireless earphone setups? If so, are they expensive?

Don't know anything about this (as you can see) but it would seem that you would be able to better hear the monitor mix with an ear bud type system, and would also have less gear to haul around.

mutt

I have owned both nady and shure pem "personal ear monitor" I sold the nady and bought shure. The shure blew the nady away. The nady was good as long as the stage volume wasn't too loud. The volume control on the shure will give more volume to you, as opposed to the nady which wasn't very loud at all. The shure was alot more expensive than the nady,of course...We still have to tote floor monitors for the rest of the band. Unless the rest of the band wants to drop some big bucks on a shure pem of their own. So far as the head set mic/ monitor...never have used them.

[This message has been edited by gidman (edited 07-19-2000).]

We've used the Sure system onstage for about two years now.

Plain and simple: Wedges are a relic of the past. In-ears are the only way to go.

Any mix at any level without feedback.

The benefits are many:

* Get any combination of instruments at any volume as loud or as quiet as you need them. You can even get the soundman to dump effects into your monitor so it sounds like you're playing in the studio.

* Crisp, clean separation of instruments, and the mix stays exactly the same no matter where you roam on stage.

* No heavy & expensive monitors and monitor amps to haul around. Your monitor system fits in a briefcase.

* No feedback problems. You don't have to fuck with EQ or deal with turning things down to avoid feedback. This means better sound and shorter soundchecks.

* Better vocal sound in general because you don't have wedges or side-fills throwing shit at 110db into your vocal mic.

* You can get away with a much smaller, more portable stage rig because even a 1x12" speaker can be miced and run into your ears so that you can hear it perfectly. Prior to using in-ears I had to bring two 4x12 cabinets and a 100 watt amp just to hear myself over the drums. Now I can put my amp in the dressing room if I want and still hear myself perfectly. This results in a lower overall stage volume without sacrificing the musician's ability to hear themselves. This makes for happier soundmen and happier club owners.

The drawbacks? Well, unless your soundman sucks (in which case wedges probably don't work well for you either) the only drawback is that you need to have enough self-control not to blow out your own hearing by cranking them up too loud. Kinda like a Marshall stack!

CT

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 07-19-2000).]

Thanks for the replies -

the Shure PEM's - do you have to have a separate transmitter for each one? Do they rack mount? WHo carries them? and, maybe most important, how much do they cost??

Just make sure Monty is nowhere within range with a transmitter on the same frequency.

[This message has been edited by hixmix (edited 07-19-2000).]

Back