Wireless Mic for Recording?

Dani Pace

Recently I was doing an experimental project (with my son's band) and the singer (if I dare call him a singer) insisted on useing his wireless mic. Since this was an experiment I agreed to give it a try. Initally we put the mic on a stand and it seemed to work OK. Then the singer decided he wanted to hold the mic (used to live and holding the mic felt more natural) so he could move around a little. I didn't notice it while tracking but upon playback the vocals had a really weird phasing sort of noise/effect, it was like the mic had been run through a flanger or something. The wireless unit (not sure of the model but it is a Shure mic and reciever) works fine through a PA but did some pretty weird things while recording. I don't plan to use this sort of thing again, but I would like to hear from anyone who has encountered a similar problem and would like to hear an explanation of what may have caused the problem. So far I've been calling it "proxemity EMI" for lack of a better term. I've never had anything similar happen while useing any wired mics (even cheap ones.)

Friends don't let friends use wireless mics. Real men use cables. How would Roger Daltrey have spun a wireless mic around anyway? Why on Earth would anyone go to the trouble to get pristine audio, and then reduce it to an FM transmission, subject to every form of atmospheric interference? As far as the bad noise, the probable cause is interference, which could be RFI, the effect of poorly shielded power cables, or a toaster. First, get a real singer. Then get a cable.-Richie

Friends don't let friends use wireless mics. Real men use cables. How would Roger Daltrey have spun a wireless mic around anyway? Why on Earth would anyone go to the trouble to get pristine audio, and then reduce it to an FM transmission, subject to every form of atmospheric interference? As far as the bad noise, the probable cause is interference, which could be RFI, the effect of poorly shielded power cables, or a toaster. First, get a real singer. Then get a cable.-Richie

That's pretty much what I've been trying to tell these guys, thanks for confirming what I thought. Hopefully someone will read this before trying it, wireless mics have their use and place, but it's not in the studio.

The out-of-phase phenomenon is probably due to the singers mic constantly changing sound perception (from moving around the room during recording)
Even direction of the mic can make it happen.
If the wireless mic was isolated, it wouldn't effect things as much (if at all)
I played in a band with a guitar player that insisted on using his wireless 100% of the time.
When we recorded, we forced him to use a cord.

I never use a wireless much, because I know the facts.
Fact: when you use a wireless, you lose 10% of your signal. (or more)
I have a Nady wireless.
Wanna buy it? :rolleyes:

In a perfect world there would be no singers...

Look, you could show your son's band's singer this thread to prove your point to him, but he might object to your description of his singing prowess and the general consensus that he's a bit stupid and pick up the nearest mic stand and belt you with it.

Let us know how it works out... they say you should always have a gun in the studio... :rolleyes:

In a perfect world there would be no singers...

Look, you could show your son's band's singer this thread to prove your point to him, but he might object to your description of his singing prowess and the general consensus that he's a bit stupid and pick up the nearest mic stand and belt you with it.

Let us know how it works out... they say you should always have a gun in the studio... :rolleyes:

The kids finally took action on their own!!! They got tired of his crappy vocals and bad attitude and told him where to stuff his wireless mic (I was proud of them for finally standing up and letting him know how he was causing more harm than good for their music.) I just hope they will take this experience and use it when they choose their next singer. So far they have tried five or six who "claim" to be singers and so far they haven't found one that even knows how to breathe, much less sing.

Back