Wireless headphones?

I'm thinking of getting wireless headphones for my studio so I can record drums easily while listening to a click or a track. Is this a good idea, or would the latency be a problem? I could nudge the track to compensate for this, assuming the latency is constant and regular, which I'm assuming it is. Does anybody else use wireless phones, and if so can anybody recommend to me a good model?

There shouldn't be any noticeable latency with wireless phones. I have a set of uber cheapo wireless cans that I've used for tracking away from the console. Worked just fine.

No latency, but you can get some drop off around equipment/walls, etc depending on the location of the transmitter and the headset.

I grabbed a pair of cheepo wireless cans at a garage sale- they worked for about a month,then crapped out.

I have the worst wireless headphones ever. It doesn't bother me that they sound like crap (I expect them to; they cost about $40). It's more the fact that I was expecting them to be in stereo. They're freakin' mono!

I'm thinking of getting wireless headphones for my studio so I can record drums easily while listening to a click or a track. Is this a good idea, or would the latency be a problem? I could nudge the track to compensate for this, assuming the latency is constant and regular, which I'm assuming it is. Does anybody else use wireless phones, and if so can anybody recommend to me a good model?

Don't do it!

Yes - you are likely to get latency.

Older wireless headphones were FM with no latencey - but newer models tend to be digital and these do have latency.

But I don't know of any good wireless headphones by any manufacturer that are good for monitoring.

Also, remember, that you have to pay for the wireless transmitter and receiver as well as the headphones. About two-thirds to three-quarters of the price goes on the transmitter and receiver - so, for $100, you get headphones that would sell for about $25-30 if they were wired.

All wireless headphones are good for is listening to the TV - that's what I use them for - for the TV in the bedroom when the wife wants to sleep.

If you want cordless go for a proper IEM system and nothing less - these were designed for the job.

Seems to me that figuring out how MUCH latency and then making adjustments would not be worth the trouble. Much easier to just deal with the cable...

Yeah -I have a pair of FM phones passed on by my brother, but the noise in unbearable. I'll just stick with wired then, thanks.

Hey everyone----what advantages are there to the wireless headphones ? I have a really long extention on my wired headphones for tracking drums that seem to get the job done...hey at least I know they exist! Never had I seen or heard of them. NEWBish of me i guess....I had thought of getting a wireless mouse so I didn't have to move around while tracking (everythings in the same room) but haven't yet.

Hey everyone----what advantages are there to the wireless headphones ?

Very little - you get rid of the cable:

Good Points:
  • No cable

Bad Points:
  • About x4 the price to equal the same quality in wired headphones
  • Latency (modern digital headphones)
  • More noise (FM transmission noise)
  • Cheap headphone amplifier in headphones
  • Reduced dynamic range
  • Reduced frequency response
  • Etc.

Fine for home use for watching the TV or wandering around the house and garden not listening too seriously, but I would not use them for anything else.

Hey everyone----what advantages are there to the wireless headphones ?
They look cool, hi~tech and make the uninitiated go "Oooh !". The disadvantage is that they make kids want to try them out and once they discover there's nothing with which to keep them around, you'll never catch them, leading to inner fury which leads to high blood pressure and white light headaches......

Back