Wireless cards and recording

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
I don't have a wireless card in my tower PC because they used to always cause problems with recording. Is that still true? It's been many years since I thought about it, but I was looking at adding a bluetooth option to my computer and most of the PCI cards I can find with that are also wireless networking cards.

Never had a problem with it.

But as with many things the only way you'll know is to try it yourself.

A cheap and easy way would be to get one of the $10 usb wireless fobs. Then you can yank it whenever you don't want it on.

Network cards have long been associated with introducing noise. I use wired network cards but always remove the network cable before doing any recording. This may be overkill, but its not that much hassle.

Never had a problem with it.

But as with many things the only way you'll know is to try it yourself.

A cheap and easy way would be to get one of the $10 usb wireless fobs. Then you can yank it whenever you don't want it on.

I'm trying to avoid USB. I'm just about out of ports, which is one of the reasons I went back to a firewire interface (though that had more to do with wanting a bus powered interface and lower latency). I haven't ever experienced extra noise from a wireless card, but in the past I have had interfaces that just wouldn't function properly until the wireless card was disabled. I mean, at only $30, I can probably risk it. Just want to know what other people's experiences are.

Back