Windscreen?

jbucla2005

I've got a Studio Projects B1 microphone, it came with a windscreen. I got good results using the windscreen when speaking or singing into the microphone up close to my face. I am wondering if I might get similar benefits using it to record tenor sax, which is held further away (1-2 feet.) What do u think? Thanks.

I heard the foam mic hats muffle the sound a bit.
Is this not true?
Ive seen Deftones and Tool use them on the kick and toms.
I can understand why for the toms, as a stick might hit the mic, but not for the kick I dont think.

Eck

ecktronic said:
I heard the foam mic hats muffle the sound a bit.
Is this not true?
Ive seen Deftones and Tool use them on the kick and toms.
I can understand why for the toms, as a stick might hit the mic, but not for the kick I dont think.

Eck

i guess it depends where they place their mic. ever put your hand on the hole of the back skin? there is a fair amount of air movement caused by the beater...

Windscreans are fairly effective for blocking pops (mostly from "P" sounds and breath sounds on vocals) but have little use for micing instruments. The foam cover type may slightly muffle certain highs and therefore be bad for use with some instruments.

Dani Pace said:
Windscreans are fairly effective for blocking pops (mostly from "P" sounds and breath sounds on vocals) but have little use for micing instruments. The foam cover type may slightly muffle certain highs and therefore be bad for use with some instruments.

Yep, I have experimented and the windscreen works great for my Studio Projects B1 when used as a vocal mic. For recording my sax I definately want to take off the windscreen to avoid a muffled sound.

wind screens are for wind- like being outside, like live sound, which really doesnt matter anyway..

take that darn sock thing off and just use a pop filter.

Yup, toss the windscreen for recording instruments.

ByTheWay, I prefer to mic my tenor with a dynamic mic (Sennheiser MD-421), as condensers are a bit "bright" and the dynamics smooth out the sound a bit. A great trick is to mic the middle of the horn with a dynamic, then put a condenser about six feet up and out to catch the room and mix the two mics together.... I've also been experimenting with Mid/Side micing using a MD-421 and a figure-8 condenser (very very nice....)

TimOBrien said:
Yup, toss the windscreen for recording instruments.

ByTheWay, I prefer to mic my tenor with a dynamic mic (Sennheiser MD-421), as condensers are a bit "bright" and the dynamics smooth out the sound a bit. A great trick is to mic the middle of the horn with a dynamic, then put a condenser about six feet up and out to catch the room and mix the two mics together.... I've also been experimenting with Mid/Side micing using a MD-421 and a figure-8 condenser (very very nice....)

What about using a ribbon mic for recording sax? Someone recommended this to me as a possible option along with the Senn dynamic mics. Also, I do notice this brightness issue you have mentioned.

Back