windscreen vs. pop filter

AlienRage

for recording vocals, which is generally better? a foam windscreen or a pop filter? or is there any real difference at all?

They have different purposes, as their name suggests. The windscreen will keep out airy noise and silence your breathing some (very little actually, it more or less keeps it from being harsh), and the pop filter keeps "b" and "p" from popping when you speak them. Get both, and try them out separately and together. But like notbradsohner says, you need to get at least a pop filter.

does it do any good to combine the use of a windscreen and a pop filter? or does a pop filter also keep breathing noise down?

It depends on the singer, really. A pop filter will keep your breathing noise down if they are keeping it under control, and if you have it far enough from the mic to begin with. The average is 6 inches, but I've seen them as far away as 12 inches ($3000.00 mic, Barry White-type singer). As I said, experiment and see what works for you. Windscreens are mostly used for live performance anyway. Pop filters for recording. Hope this helps.

wow, thanks rokket! you seem to know a lot about this. what about if i'm micing amps? should i bother to use either?

No, you want the true sound of your amp. I just know from trial and error. I've only doing home recording for about 2 years. I started on a Tascam 4 track and have slowly worked my way up.

to all - try this. sling some of the wifes panty hose over a coat hanger,
between the mic and the singer. then rig up a pencil mounted vertically
in the nylon arrangement.

it also works if you just use a pencil about 2 inches from the mic, going vertical. If the singers voice isnt too harsh (the p's and b's) that will work fine. This method works because when the sudden rush of air hits the pencil, it is split in half and sent two different ways, therefore not putting all that air into the mic at once. Just thought id explain it. :D

notbradsohner said:
it also works if you just use a pencil about 2 inches from the mic, going vertical. If the singers voice isnt too harsh (the p's and b's) that will work fine. This method works because when the sudden rush of air hits the pencil, it is split in half and sent two different ways, therefore not putting all that air into the mic at once. Just thought id explain it. :D
Manning, notbrad, good ideas. I paid for a pop filter that mounts directly on the mic stand, and spent $25.00 on it. Legg's panty hose are about $3.00... :o

heh - and experiment with different types of panty hose.
never was a hose i didnt like....bra straps come in handy once in a while as well....

manning1 said:
never was a hose i dint like....
Our next door neighbor used to steal my mother's off the clothes line to strain his homemade beer! I think he used to say the same thing! :D

manning1 said:
never was a hose i didnt like....bra straps come in handy once in a while as well....
Are we still talking about pop filters???? ;)

Alienrage, I hope we answered your questions before this thread started going south!

manning1 said:
ahh - such memories ,,,,when i discovered hose and snaps ...
in my teens.

rokket said:
Our next door neighbor used to steal my mother's off the clothes line to strain his homemade beer! I think he used to say the same thing!

You guys haven't ever lived anywhere near each other.... have you?

I also tie my ho's... I mean panty hose... but they're not mine, i swear... and a coat hanger, and a rubber chicken, and amyl nitrate, and...

cellardweller said:
You guys haven't ever lived anywhere near each other.... have you?

I also tie my ho's... I mean panty hose... but they're not mine, i swear... and a coat hanger, and a rubber chicken, and amyl nitrate, and...
Well, when I am home and not in a foreign country, I live about 25 miles from the Canadian border, near Nelson, British Columbia. And Cellardwellar, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are living up to your name. But don't change, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Back