Windows XP SP3 almost here

RWhite,
Thanks for that! I'm heartened to know that they've kept it in the playing field - enough people still sue it afterall.
An interesting read - I'll have to ensure my WU is still running properly.

Little hint: NEVER automatically jump to install MS 'fixes'.

Let others be the guinea pigs for crashes, blue screens and incompatibilities.
When it comes out, give it a few months and let others take the hit first.
(unless you like that sort of thing...)

Little hint: NEVER automatically jump to install MS 'fixes'.

Let others be the guinea pigs for crashes, blue screens and incompatibilities.
When it comes out, give it a few months and let others take the hit first.
(unless you like that sort of thing...)

Thanks for the 'hint', but since a lot of us can operate our computers with a decent level of competency and are not anti-MS zealots these 'crashes' and 'blue screens' as you describe them aren't an issue.

Or at least not for me.

I ordered the SP2 CD a few years back, for free. I hope they do that again with SP3.
I don't believe in NET patching and updates, and my humble Pentium 3 music PC is not online, and a few bells and whistles turned off.

Last edited:
My little P3 is similarly off line BUT it punches hard with WIN98.
My olde Dell P3 (600Mhz + 256 RAM) is running XP Pro SP2, no problemo
Was using Win 98SE for years until I jumped to XP after installing a bigger hard drive.
The key is NO Internet, networking, printers, MS OFFICE ... that eat resources.

Well if you've kept your windows automatic updates on then you'll probably not need it - but it does make it handy for fresh installs... There's very few functionality changes and I doubt most people would even notice that there were changes at all... There's not going to be any "Blue Screen of Death" Those stop when they switched to the NTFS file system, people just think it still exist because of how annoying it was with the old FAT/FAT32 file system (when DOS was still the backbone)... If you're still having trouble with your Windows XP SP2 crashing or locking up then "you" have somehow fucked it up...:D

My olde Dell P3 (600Mhz + 256 RAM) is running XP Pro SP2, no problemo
Was using Win 98SE for years until I jumped to XP after installing a bigger hard drive.
The key is NO Internet, networking, printers, MS OFFICE ... that eat resources.

Try Windows 2000, they are a lot faster on machine like that.

Back