Windows XP SP2

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Now that it's more available, has anyone tried it yet!?!?
I definatley won't be going for it for months, just to let Microsoft work out the kinks.
I'm mainly interested in any conflicts/problems with recording hardware/software. I'm running an AMD Athlon XP system with a delta 44 and Adobe Audition if anyone cares to give specific info. If not, any general info would be appreiciated as well.

Thanks,
Justin :cool:

I installed it on my studio computer after reading what Adobe had to say about how it affects Audition (my software). No problems, it looks like they thought it out pretty well.

Then, of course, for the sake of balanced reporting:

Chicken Little says "SKWAAAKK SKWAAAAK SKWAAAAAAK SKWAAAAAAAK SKWAAAAAAK!!!"

Take your pick.

I've read a lot of articles on the net that says the biggest problem(s) (so far) is/are that it since the update focus' a lot on security of systems on the net, many programs that are used on the net often may not function as normal anymore...for example - your file sharing programs, games you play on the net, perhaps a server you are running, etc. But apparently overall it's really good because it's gonna stop a lot of spyware/adware/hacking from getting into your system in general.

however, I will not be updating for at least a month or so too...ha

But apparently overall it's really good because it's gonna stop a lot of spyware/adware/hacking from getting into your system in general.

Unfortunately it doesn't really stop spyware, because it can't stop the user from downloading stuff they shouldn't, or clicking yes to a gator pop-up.

It still doesn't completely protect stupid people from themselves.

I have now installed SP2 on both my computers and I expect to keep it [background sound of computers blowing up]. I read all I could find on the subject and concluded that the risks from unprotected intercourse with other computers is greater than my fear of Bill Gates somehow sabotaging my recording. Adobe has a piece posted at their website: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330621.html
which I considered in deciding to install. Since installing SP2 in the studio I have been mixing down some multitrack recordings and everything runs exactly the way it did before, which is to say in a very stable manner. I may have come across as a smart @ss earlier but I did some research prior to making the decision and installing.

Who knows? Maybe M$ is getting better? (Stranger things have happened.) I know that my recording computer has run like a train since I installed XP, something it never did under 98SE.

I would advise against installing SP2. I decided to give it a try on my laptop and it is driving me crazy. SP2's Security Center keeps an icon in my Systray that continually tells me my system is not secure.

Well, guess what! I don't need to run the damn firewall if I'm already behind my Linksys router. I also do not want Automatic updates always running in the background if I'm on my laptop and am not always online.

Mr. Bill messed this one up big time IMO.

SP2 running smooth here. Sonar Producer, UAD1 card and Lynx II sound card, all running fine, no problems.

I have noticed however my hair looks thicker and some of my wrinkles have faded. I'm sticking with SP2.

SP2 is coming off my system. My laptop will no longer come back out of suspend mode. This was never an issue before SP2.

Microsoft is starting to become a joke.....again. A service pack to basically plug holes, instead of making it faster and more stable?

On the contrary. Less stable, slower, and already there are vulnerabilities. Good deal. Thanks Bill.

Back