Windows XP service pack?

dogn4u

I use Norton anti-virus, with Windows XP and it's being pretty insistent about telling me I need to download and install Service pack 3. I have SP 2 installed on my Creation Station and run SONAR with an Alesis MasterControl.

My concern is this: After battling for years with a Tascam FW-1884 board that didn't work half the time; wouldn't lock onto the FW signal and caused crash after crash (The Queen of the Blue Screen), I finally wised up, shot it into splinters with my H&K 9mm, and bought a MasterControl. Never has my system been so trouble-free and such pleasure to use...I'm apprehensive that loading this new service pack will somehow screw things up.

Do these service packs mainly address security issues? Because within a week or two, I'm gonna buy an inexpensive laptop just for internet, email, and word processing...and I'm gonna take my DAW desktop completely offline to avoid any malicious infestations. I suppose I could set a restore point and give it a whirl, but I'd rather not monkey with something working so well and so stably. Recommends?
Thanks
Rudi

Attachments

• SP 006.jpg
    SP 006.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 33
If you're goiing to unplug your DAW computer from the internet AND it's working fine for you now, I suggest you not change a thing. SP3 fixes some bugs and a lot of security stuff, but if you're running okay, why bother. I have heard of people having problems with hardware drivers after installing SP3. I didn't have any, but everyone's situation s a little different.

I would also suggest you remove Norton's and install it on your laptop. There's also a bunch of other tweaks you can make to lighten the load on your DAW computer and optimize it for audio.

Sweetwaters' Optimization

Another Guide

Hope this helps...

to be honest I wouldnt imagine Norton would stop the most basic of attacks..I bet XP probably offers as much protection as Norton if not more...

SP3 has been out for several years now and has been relatively problem free as far as I can see. With that said, if things are working and you'll be off the net, I wouldn't sweet it one way or the other...

As for Norton, I suggest you remove it from your system, break the disk and never spend another penny on a Norton product again. The vast majority of infected computers I see are equipped with an up to date copy of Norton.
Try Avira or AVG for much more effective, less resource-intensive and FREE a/v protection.

http://www.free-av.com/

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

SP3 did fix an intermittent firewire problem that I had, and I did not get any other issues.

I would be more worried about Nortons, the virus you pay for.

If you take the computer off line, remove all the virus protection and disable all the security, the computer will speed up heaps.

Actually SP3 may have fixed the tascam problem you were having.

Cheers

Alan.

Nice studio photo btw.

I agree with the others above, with one additional caution. As of this month (August 2010) SP3 is required in order to download any new updates from Microsoft update. Like SP3 itself, most of these updates involve security issues. However some of them also involve compatibility issues with newer systems running Windows 7 and Vista. As of now I don't think this will impact anything, but in the future it could theoretically be a problem if someone were to bring you data from a Windows 7 system.

If you are using this setup primarily to record yourself, I say go off the grid and lose the Norton. If you will be involved with clients, they will be bringing you files and wanting to send files to you by email. In that case make a backup, upgrade to SP3, and keep up to date with Microsoft Update.

And I agree that Norton is useless against the newer viruses coming out (most of which are variants of the "Antivirus 2009" virus). The pair of anti-virus products I am currently recommending are Microsoft's Security Essentials, and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware. These are both free downloads.

Hi,

I should have pointed out that the studio computer I use is totally off line. XP and all the service packs were installed off line. I don't update any windows security stuff I only installed XP pro, the service packs to 3 and the .Net stuff that some software needs to run.

What I do is that I have a laptop that is connected to the net, I downloaded the service packs and then transfer them to the off line machine. If someone sends me file, or I need any driver updates I bring them in via the laptop. The laptop has all the windows security updates and runs AVG virus protection, spybot, and ad-aware, these are all free downloads and they don't mess up my laptop recording software (I sometimes use the laptop as a mobile rig). If I worry about where a file has come from I scan it before transferring it to the studio computer.

Cheers

alan.

My DAW is perm off line.
I run XP & it came with SP3.
SP3 isn't essential BUT if you don't install it you will need a decent antivirus system to protect against bugs you may import by USB etc.
SP3 is MAINLY security but not exclusively.
I run AVG SOHO on all my machines so that my thumb drives, external drives etc are checked before I take a file from an online machine & then to the offline machine.
If you are managing without SP3 stay that way but ditch Norton & get something reliable.
I also use windows defender and spybot on the online machines - one or a combination of these security progs run each night after they update.
Oh, & make sure what ever you use to scan your daw does a deep rootkit check.

Back