Windows XP 64 Bit Edition...Any Experiences? Compatibility?

trogdor

I recently put in a new mobo and Athlon 64 3000+ chip, and my motherboard came with a voucher for a free download or CD of Windows XP 64bit...which I assume is still in the beta stages.

It looks like you can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx and I was wondering if anybody had tried it out yet...If so, did you notice any marked performance gains? Have any hard- or software compatibility issues? I'm thinking about giving it a shot just for kicks but I thought I would see if anybody had tried 'er out first.

maybe i'll be proved wrong in the fullness of time,
but i think your going to see more performance increase using the 64 hardware than anything else. its just another evolution of the win os.
just my personal experience of building OS's in the past.
for example the time it takes to process reverb around a track.
this is dependent more on how the programmer efficiently coded
up the rvb algo. for example if tomorrow you were using an 8 ghz processor
instead of a 64. you would see it would take even less of time to process rvb round a track.
my advice. dont too hung up on the os.

It wasn't too long ago that buying a 64bit box would set you back $100K. Today, for $1K, you can buy a 64bit box with a literal supercomputer on the graphics adapter.

Unfreakingbelievable.

I would only sweat compatibilty if I was running ProTools. I am sure that Microsoft's goal is to make WinXP Pro 64bit transparent to the applications. Which is not to say they will succeed.

trogdor, that 64 bit program looks intriguing. I wonder why it's free? Are they using us to work out the bugs? I am not sure I want those headaches if it's not been proven yet. Maybe someone here has tried it and can comment.

trogdor said:
I recently put in a new mobo and Athlon 64 3000+ chip, and my motherboard came with a voucher for a free download or CD of Windows XP 64bit...which I assume is still in the beta stages.

It looks like you can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx and I was wondering if anybody had tried it out yet...If so, did you notice any marked performance gains? Have any hard- or software compatibility issues? I'm thinking about giving it a shot just for kicks but I thought I would see if anybody had tried 'er out first.

What are you going to use it with? Nobody has bothered to release 64-bit drivers for any of the hardware you would be using, nevermind 64-bit DAW apps...

You'll be playing Solitare and using MS Paint in all its new 64-bit glory! Woo hoo! :confused:

i agree. it wont be installed on my machines for a very very long time.
old hi tech rule....stay behind the curve...let the early adopters get the arrows in the back.

that xp 64-bit IS still in beta stages. If you want a stable computer with all working progams, etc. etc. - I would NOT download that.

brzilian said:
You'll be playing Solitare and using MS Paint in all its new 64-bit glory! Woo hoo! :confused:

lol, okay thanks for the advice, fellas. I think MS is indeed trying to use us to work out their bugs...the site says that the software is only active for 365 days...then I guess it's "thanks for helping us work out the kinks...now go buy it."

No Athlon 64's Ay?

manning1 said:
i agree. it wont be installed on my machines for a very very long time.
old hi tech rule....stay behind the curve...let the early adopters get the arrows in the back.

which cpu are you using now manning? I found a nice deal on an xp 2800 at newegg. $92.00

i'm about to get an athlon 64 billy. i'm completely redoing my studio.
i will be all native in the box.
my mics will feed my mic preamps (of my own mic pre design) into an RME sound solution feeding the amd 64 running powertracks multitrack software from pgmusic that ive used for years. no need for anything else.

Back