Windows Vista???

Johnnie K.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, I'm looking for a good audio interface that's compatible with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

while alot will work on vista few are set up to really take advantage(?) of all it's supposed to do... some of the tascam interfaces have just had vista drivers made available for download...

I've actually been trying to call Tascam to see if their interfaces are compatible with Vista but they never answered. So, now that you told me that I'm about to look on the website right now to see.

You think you can list a few interfaces that are compatible so I can do some research on them?

I looked on the Tascam website to see if the FW-1082 had a Vista Driver download and they didn't. I seen a Vista Support link but it didn't work, it said it doesn't exist. Because if I can get the driver for it, I'll order it right now.

As for that Alesis, I'll look more into it. I never thought about getting one, I've always looked over it. Is it any good, meaning quality?

Wait, I think it's my PC that's not letting me download anything or I might have to register first.

Finally got in touch with people at Tascam and the Vista Driver is available but not for download yet. They said it won't be out for a couple of weeks or sooner. So, I might go with that but are there any other suggestions.

The FW-1082 Vista Driver is out but not available for download just yet. I called them earlier today and that's what they told me. They said the download link will be posted in a couple of weeks or sooner.

vista is utill unstable - wait until we get service pack 9.7.

There's my vote;) I'm ready to go as far as software & drivers go, but I am waiting at least another year before I try going to vista. Stability out wieghs pretty much every thing when it comes to recording.

F.S.

I know it's unstable but you pretty much can't do anything if you already have a PC that came with Vista Home Premium. I'm not trying to save money again just to get a Mac so I can make music because that's moving backwards. That's why I was just trying my hardest to just make things work right now. But it seems like I might have to start over but I hope I don't.

You can load XP. It's cheap. If you have vista you need to see if it's the 32 bit version or 64 bit. If it's the 32 bit version there are really no reasons to run it.
It's a power hog compared to xp and doesn't have the 64 bit advantage. I have a laptop with vista on it and it's 32bit from the factory.

F.S.

When I went to Guitar Center a few days ago they said that MOTU and RME are compatible with Vista. So was M-Audio interfaces but they released a Beta Driver and that's nothing but a test driver so I'm not messing with that.

As for switching from Vista to XP, it's going to cost because I've called a few companies to see if they can do it and they said if anything goes wrong it'll kill my PC.

dementedchord thanks for link, I'm ordering the FW-1082 tonight. I already downloaded the driver.

Is it the same driver they'ew going to drop on the US site in a couple of weeks?

I was about to waste money and get an iMac.

You could've asked for your new comp to be built with XP. You could've ordered it from Dell with XP. The BUYER rules - if they can't supply it with XP they don't get the sale.
I waited 3 years before recording on XP. I still have a back up machine set up & ready to go on '98 - it's MUCH nicer to work with than XP even.
I've read & heard that Gatesinc won't be permitting XP certificates for a great deal of "heritage", (5yrs or older) progs so I doubt I'll be moving in that direction for a LONG time.
Almost a gig to do, essentially, what 8 Meg used to do in '95 - bells & whistles just make noise.

I didn't even know I could do that, because I was going to buy a Dell but ended up getting an HP. If I would've known that before I bought my PC I would've gotten it. I'm mad about that now. And I'm really not trying to buy a new PC.

Back