Windows OS question

Doowah

Okay, I've got a fairly powerful PC that I built for my studio. Q6600 2.4 GHz quad-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GT video card, ABit IX38 Quad-GT mobo, etc. I plan on purchasing an E-MU 1616M PCI audio interface/soundcard. Currently have a registered copy of Sonar 7.1 Producer Edition that I plan to use as my DAW software. So far, so good...

I also have an unopened copy of Windows XP Professional that I bought a couple of years back but never installed and activated. Additionally, I have a copy of Windows Vista Business Edition that I bought when Vista first came out (got a smoking upgrade deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up). The Vista OS is also still in its original packaging and has never been opened.

My questions for all of you:

Given the specifications of my system, and knowing that I plan on using Sonar for my software along with the E-MU interface, which version of Windows would you recommend that I install for my home recording computer, and why? Is there any merit in considering a dual-boot system, and what are the pros and cons of doing it?

I really want to know your opinions and arguments regarding both versions of Windows, as applied to a home recording scenario. (Due to budgetary concerns, upgrading to Windows 7 isn't a viable option at this time).

I have other computers that I use for Internet access, e-mail, and home office apps, etc. I will probably use the new PC for some gaming as well as for recording, just because it's more powerful than the other computers, but it really will be used mostly just for digital recording.

Thanks in advance!

windows XP, def. windows xp.

windows vista has a lot of issues and alot more people here use windows xp so they would have a better insight to help you out if you ever had a problem.

not to mention windows xp is MUCH more stable than vista and it uses up less resources than vista such as ram and cpu which you will need for processing in your DAW.

Okay, I've got a fairly powerful PC that I built for my studio. Q6600 2.4 GHz quad-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GT video card, ABit IX38 Quad-GT mobo, etc. I plan on purchasing an E-MU 1616M PCI audio interface/soundcard. Currently have a registered copy of Sonar 7.1 Producer Edition that I plan to use as my DAW software. So far, so good...

I also have an unopened copy of Windows XP Professional that I bought a couple of years back but never installed and activated. Additionally, I have a copy of Windows Vista Business Edition that I bought when Vista first came out (got a smoking upgrade deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up). The Vista OS is also still in its original packaging and has never been opened.

My questions for all of you:

Given the specifications of my system, and knowing that I plan on using Sonar for my software along with the E-MU interface, which version of Windows would you recommend that I install for my home recording computer, and why? Is there any merit in considering a dual-boot system, and what are the pros and cons of doing it?

I really want to know your opinions and arguments regarding both versions of Windows, as applied to a home recording scenario. (Due to budgetary concerns, upgrading to Windows 7 isn't a viable option at this time).

I have other computers that I use for Internet access, e-mail, and home office apps, etc. I will probably use the new PC for some gaming as well as for recording, just because it's more powerful than the other computers, but it really will be used mostly just for digital recording.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, probably dual boot. XP for recording, vista for gaming. With XP, you'll lose most of your available ram, but so what. 2 gigs is plenty to run everything you could possibly need; DAW, umpteen million tracks and plugs. I've never had to record with vista, but I've heard it has problems or stabilty issues, maybe because of hardware drivers. Does EMU have drivers for vista? Are they stable? How about Sonar? Is there an upgrade for vista?

Yeah, probably dual boot. XP for recording, vista for gaming. With XP, you'll lose most of your available ram, but so what. 2 gigs is plenty to run everything you could possibly need; DAW, umpteen million tracks and plugs. I've never had to record with vista, but I've heard it has problems or stabilty issues, maybe because of hardware drivers. Does EMU have drivers for vista? Are they stable? How about Sonar? Is there an upgrade for vista?

EMU does have Vista drivers available for the 1616M but whether or not they're stable, I have no idea. Sonar supposedly runs okay under Vista.

The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 is around $200. I'd rather spend that cash to upgrade my Sonar 7 to 8.5!

Thanks for the input, BTW...

EMU does have Vista drivers available for the 1616M but whether or not they're stable, I have no idea. Sonar supposedly runs okay under Vista.

The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 is around $200. I'd rather spend that cash to upgrade my Sonar 7 to 8.5!

Thanks for the input, BTW...

You're wlecome. Sorry I don't have in-depth knowledge to help you. I just spew worthless info sometimes..... :p

Vista can [SELF-CENSORED] my [SELF-CENSORED] [SELF-CENSORED]-ing [SELF-CENSORED] with a Joey Lawrence Haircut [SELF-CENSORED] piece of [SELF-CENSORED].

Seriously.

XP Pro on the other hand, is reasonably [SELF-CENSORED]-ing stable.

As been stated, XP. 8Gb won't do you much good though as 32-bit XP will only recognize around 3.25-3.5Gb or so.

With Microsoft throwing XP by the wayside, I'm curious to see how 7 shakes out myself.

Vista can [SELF-CENSORED] my [SELF-CENSORED] [SELF-CENSORED]-ing [SELF-CENSORED] with a Joey Lawrence Haircut [SELF-CENSORED] piece of [SELF-CENSORED].

Seriously.

Tell us how you really feel.

Supposedly the MOST stable OS is a dumb-downed copy of Windows Server, but barring that XP Pro. Absolutely.

I used to run Sonar on Vista...but now I use XP...your cpu takes a far bigger whack with vista, I also had some problems with older plugins and my audio interface (which granted was an old Quattro)..plus rams easy to upgrade..cpu not so easy

EDIT: also consider upgrade your sonar to 8.5...7 is less stable and uses more of that lovely CPU..up to 20% in certain cases

Seriously.

Vista can pluck my bock clucking chicken with a Joey Lawrence Haircut Kentucky-Fried piece of thigh?

It bears repeating... Dont buy that Emu. Just sayin...

Windows XP and pick something other than the Emu!

whats wrong with the emu?

i use the emu 1212m...

Help!

Okay, now I'm scared. All of my research indicated that using a PCI bus resulted in the least latency, which I've had issues with before with USB interfaces (albeit cheap ones). I had actually considered the MOTU UltraLite-mk3, but Internet research indicated a lot of problems reported. Maybe that was Vista's fault? I dunno, but it seems that every interface that I looked at had somebody knocking it for something. I'm the type that can't sleep at night when I'm having computer trouble in general, and I sure as hell can't be creative and make music when I'm futzing with a critical piece of hardware. So, my absolute main criteria for an interface is that there be NO compatibilty or stability issues. (That's why I started this thread concerning which OS to use!)

Most reports on the EMU 1616M PCI card/breakout box combo that I dredged up were positive. The negatives concentrated on the PatchMix DSP Mixer software, which I understand to be difficult to use because it is complicated. But it also seems powerful, and I've read enough tutorials and walkthroughs so that I'm at a point where I understand the software, even without any hands-on experience with it. So, I don't think its complexity would be an issue for me.

However, none of my conceptions and understanding of the device are based on anything concrete, other than my research on the Internet. And none of that great information is worth a damn compared to the opinion of someone with hands-on experience! So, please elaborate on the reasons for not buying the EMU. I certainly don't want to make a mistake on such a critical element of my studio, especially since I am on a restricted budget.

If the EMU is a poor choice, please tell me why and suggest an alternative or two. I'll be forever grateful. I haven't bought it yet, so I am not committed or attached to it in any way. Since joining this forum just a week or so ago, I've already changed my mind about a dozen times on other things that I "thought" I knew. So I realize that I'm ignorant. That's okay, but spending my money stupidly is not! :D

That's why I'm here, so that I can avoid making mistakes. Everybody, thanks for your help...

Yeah, upgrading to Sonar 8.5 is pretty high on my list. I'm lusting after the new goodies, but it's nice to hear that it runs leaner on the ol' CPU, too. Thanks for the info!

I don't like Creative (which makes Emu). There is nothing wrong with a PCI based soundcard. PCI is fine. Firewire is also fine. USB *can* be fine with limited channels. The few Creative products I've personally owned have had poor sound and awful drivers- enough so that I swore them off many years ago. I too have seen many people on this very website struggle with the drivers and software for the Emu stuff (just like your own research turned up). Some people here will agree with me and some people will say I'm wrong. Either way, for your money, I think there are better options...

I'd look at offerings from MOTU, MAudio, Presonus, etc. before I spent my money on anything from Emu. Just my personal opinion. :)

I don't like Creative (which makes Emu). There is nothing wrong with a PCI based soundcard. PCI is fine. Firewire is also fine. USB *can* be fine with limited channels. The few Creative products I've personally owned have had poor sound and awful drivers- enough so that I swore them off many years ago. I too have seen many people on this very website struggle with the drivers and software for the Emu stuff (just like your own research turned up). Some people here will agree with me and some people will say I'm wrong. Either way, for your money, I think there are better options...

I'd look at offerings from MOTU, MAudio, Presonus, etc. before I spent my money on anything from Emu. Just my personal opinion. :)

Well, I will agree with you, there are better options, but I've got the EMU 0404pci and don't have problems with it. Granted, I only use it for an SPDIF interface anymore, but I used to use the converters and they aren't bad. And that's all it is, converters, it doesn't have mic pres. I see the 1616 has two mic pres, haven't heard anything about them, but couldn't be any worse than M-Audio's pres.

Now, the software is horrible. It took a really long time to figure out what they wanted a user to do to get it to communicate with a DAW. I gave up and bought a firewire mixer that worked out much better.

To the OP: You say you read the manual and has a good understanding. very cool. Everyone else who comes here refuses to find the answers for themselves, you haven't even bought it yet and you've got the manual read. :D

http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

Here's a list of firewire products starting with the lowest price. Firewire is stable and fast, your latency numbers won't be any different than pci. I like firewire better because it's one less pci slot taken up. You might find, in the future, you want more slots for DSP cards like the UAD stuff. I think a lot of people like the Presonus firebox

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this with me. It's definitely serious food for thought, and I'll keep on lookin'...

Back