Windows Media Player question...

Basslord1124

I just downloaded the latest version of Windows Media Player as it was brought to my attention that it can play CD's through it digitally without having to worry about an internal analog audio cable. Well, there's good news and bad news....Good news is it works, bad news I get some crackles and pops while the CD is playing. And I've tried burned audio CD's and regular audio CD's and it still does it. Is there a patch or something I'm not aware of? BTW, I'm running Win 2K. Thanks.

I am not using Win2000 but have you enabled DMA for your cdrom drives in the system properties (in control panel). I know old CD rom drives have issues with DAE (digital audio extraction).

It could be background applications -- do you have antivirus software running? Are you connected to a network? Doing other stuff when you listen?

That's the nice thing about the analog connection, it hardly gives two rat-asses about what your CPU is doing, whereas playing the CD digitally is much like running SONAR or something like that, and hence prone to interruption from other tasks.

With Windows Media Player, if I'm playing an MP3 that's sitting on my hard driver, fer chrissakes, it strutters and hiccups if I'm openin gand closing web pages in IE while it plays -- and it's really unhappy when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse.

So I started using Winamp almost exclusively.

alfalfa-I'll give your suggestion a try. And not sure about the fact that this is an older CDROM...it is a relatively modern CDRW, if I remember right the write speed is 48.

AlChuck-I shouldn't have any serious background programs running. All that shows up on bootup is my soundcard mixer (Audiophile) and the volume level control. I have no virus scanner and I am not connected to a network. I can play mp3's and such fine through it...but audio CD's are what's giving me the problems. I might give Winamp a try then if I can't get it working...does it allow digital audio from a CD rather than using the analog cable as well?

Yeah, the version I have of Winamp (3.0b) plays CDs digitally, and it behaves better for me than WMP...

Back