Windows 7 is getting annoying...

Mixteco

Well I built my computer back in December...everything was running fine and dandy with Windows 7. I was really proud of this OS since it seemed so stable. Nothing crashed nor did it seem to give me any problems.

Til' earlier this week! Since I use the PC mostly for my musical home recording I was running Propellerheads Reason 4. I was saving a project when all of a sudden it froze. When I clicked on it, it said "Not Responding". So I tried to close it out but it wouldnt close so I went to the Task Manager to close it that way...it still wouldn't close. So I tried to restart my pc...guess what?! It wouldn't restart after one hour of waiting! I had to manually shut it down.

Then I turned it on BUT it never loaded Windows 7 at all...it only got to the BIOS screen (the screen before everything loads up with the f8 and f12 options). I had to press the "RESET" button and then it loaded everything like normal.

I started noticing REALLY slow USB transfers. Saving and loading music files into my music programs cause the programs to freeze.

So I did a clean install all over and it really pissed me off b/c I lost alot of work since it kept freezing with the SLOW usb transfer speeds.

Anyways after the new clean install...everything was working fine until I opened up Adobe Audition 3 tonight! I was loading a wave file when it froze and it crashed and basically everything is starting to repeat itself...

I set my SleepNumber bed to Windows 7.

Now it's full of bugs, and I get no support whatsoever.

I started noticing REALLY slow USB transfers. Saving and loading music files into my music programs cause the programs to freeze.
Did you check to see if maybe you had a bad stick of RAM?

Sometimes, its not the software but an actual hardware failure. RAM is real cheap these days, so cheap that a lot of it simply fails and can cause these kinds of screw-ups.

Cheers! :)

My brother went on to W7 and he has had nothing but problems with it. It could be a huge amplitude of things and you WON'T get the support you need because all they'll do is run you through the idiots guide to Windows 7.

So, as the old phrase goes, if something's not broken then DON'T FIX IT!!!!

My advice, go back to windows xp.

from all that i've read of it most people haven't those kinds of issues... when i ocassional get such things here (not win7) it's because i've asked it to do something that requires more ram... so how much do you have???

if you are tanking at the POST level why would it have anything to do with the OS? Sounds like hardware problems to me

Did you check to see if maybe you had a bad stick of RAM?

Sometimes, its not the software but an actual hardware failure. RAM is real cheap these days, so cheap that a lot of it simply fails and can cause these kinds of screw-ups.

Cheers! :)

I dont know about a bad stick of RAM...I got 4gbs of it and everything runs smoothly.

I hardly ever even hit 50% ...but I aint no genius when it comes to this so it could possibly be. =/

My brother went on to W7 and he has had nothing but problems with it. It could be a huge amplitude of things and you WON'T get the support you need because all they'll do is run you through the idiots guide to Windows 7.

So, as the old phrase goes, if something's not broken then DON'T FIX IT!!!!

My advice, go back to windows xp.

The appearance of this OS is superb! I really liked it when it was stable...

If I dont find out wuts the reason behind all this stuff I might just go back to my copy of Vista...

The appearance of this OS is superb! I really liked it when it was stable...

If I dont find out wuts the reason behind all this stuff I might just go back to my copy of Vista...

Weird, Windows 7 seems to make all of your posts bold too!

What's even more weird is that is never does that to me... :confused:

Well I built my computer back in December...everything was running fine and dandy with Windows 7. I was really proud of this OS since it seemed so stable. Nothing crashed nor did it seem to give me any problems.

Til' earlier this week! Since I use the PC mostly for my musical home recording I was running Propellerheads Reason 4. I was saving a project when all of a sudden it froze. When I clicked on it, it said "Not Responding". So I tried to close it out but it wouldnt close so I went to the Task Manager to close it that way...it still wouldn't close. So I tried to restart my pc...guess what?! It wouldn't restart after one hour of waiting! I had to manually shut it down.

Then I turned it on BUT it never loaded Windows 7 at all...it only got to the BIOS screen (the screen before everything loads up with the f8 and f12 options). I had to press the "RESET" button and then it loaded everything like normal.

So I did a clean install all over and it really pissed me off b/c I lost alot of work since it kept freezing with the SLOW usb transfer speeds.

Anyways after the new clean install...everything was working fine until I opened up Adobe Audition 3 tonight! I was loading a wave file when it froze and it crashed and basically everything is starting to repeat itself...

I agree with the others. It's not Windows. You're experiencing hardware failure.

I've been running the release candidate for the last few months and it's been smooth sailing the whole way.

If you are not even able to get past the post screen on the boot up then the chances are that this is not a generic windows7 problem but a specific hardware problem somewherre in your system

Not even booting could point to a drive going bad or just critical information in a sector of the drive that has become corrupt. there are tools in windows to identify and correct for this in the short term however if it is the case and it keeps occuring then it may be time for a new drive

Similarly if you are able to get the system booted but experience frequent lockups then that is often a symptom of bad RAM. The fact that it worked fine last week or even yesterday is neither here nor there. RAM goes bad without warning, and to use analogy, just like lightbulbs blow without warning it doesn't mean there is a problem with your house or your electric company it just happens after long periods of use or ocaisonally you just get one that is bad out of the box.
If you have multiple sticks of RAM take all but one out, boot and see if the machine is stable. Repeat the process until you fid the bad one. You can also downlload something like Memtest 86 to make a bootable CD to test RAM but it is not 100% reliable. Failing that check what is compatable with your machine and replace the whole lot. As mentioned RAM is coming down in price (Especially DDR2)

If the problem is specifically related to opening Adobe or whatever then it could be a driver incompatability. Try loading the software first directly after the clean reinstall and windows/compnent drivers. Load the software in safe mode or with only microsoft critical service running

Also if it is happening after a certain amount of time it could point to a virus or some other Malware/spyware issue and a windows reinstall might not correct this without a complete disk wipe first

Check your errors logs to see what is causing the crashes

With the symptoms you are describing there are a good 100 things I would check before even thinking there is the slightest possibility of a mass Generic across the board issue with the OS whether it be XP, Vista, 7, Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

Well

I went out and bought a brand 500 gb SATA hard drive yesterday night at Wal Mart (only electronics store open past 9)...

Installed it today aftr I got home from work...

I had a problem with Windows not loading up wut so ever but tht has been resolved.

So far so good no problems wut so ever.

I hope for the best pray for the bad but expected the unexpected...:)

Dude, you should still check your RAM. That's great that you have 4 Gigs of RAM BUT one of the sticks could still have problems that might not show up for a week or who knows when? You need to get a Memory test utility (RAM check)... something like this http://www.memtest.org/ I can't remember if this is the one I used or not but it basically checks your RAM for errors prior to Windows booting. So since you have 4 gigs if you happen to have a bad stick then you can just pull that one and your PC will still run fine until you get a new one ( send it back to the Manufacturer and they'll replace it usually for free, I've done this)

Good Luck,
B.

Thanx for the advice bro...but

Everythings working fine plus the fact the memory is literally brand new.

Im saving up for either a mpc or mpd...so Im tryna save every penny

Back