Windows 7 edition?

Vinnydude

Clunge Monster
I'll keep it short, i'm building a new pc for my studio and I'm more than likely going to be upgrading to windows 7.

Which version suits audio best? Is the Ultimate edition worth the extra bucks?

Do you need the extra support for virtual machines, UNIX support and extra encryption possibilites? Most likely not so I would say that Ultimate is a waste of money. Pro has some nice features over Home Premium thought, like the ability to act as a Remote Desktop server which is neat. It also has neat XP mode.

XP mode is useless for audio work, it is simply a cleverly packaged VM. Just like any other VM, it cannot virtualize hardware outside of USB so any firewire or PCI devices simply dont work with it. It is designed solely for old software. Home premium OEM (pick 32 or 64bit) is $100 and has everything you need for audio work

+1 on the Home Premium.

If you go 64bit, make sure all your plug-ins have 64bit versions. Otherwise, 32bit is more than acceptable.

Also, 4gb of ram is best for either 32 or 64bit.

If you really, really wanna fast PC, put your OS and applications on an SSD and use a spinner for storage.

+1 on the Home Premium.

If you go 64bit, make sure all your plug-ins have 64bit versions. Otherwise, 32bit is more than acceptable.

If you really, really wanna fast PC, put your OS and applications on an SSD and use a spinner for storage.

I'm going one slightly up, i'm getting a PCIE SSD drive as my system drive :D

Anyway, thank you all very much for your help. Home premium 64bit it is!

+1 on the Home Premium.

If you buy Windows 7, other than OEM, the box comes with two discs, One for 32 and one for 64.

You can also use almost all of your 32 bit plug-ins if you get "jBridge". It costs about ten bucks.

when i copped my win7 ir was on ebay .... $125 for ultimate... home will suffice for daw's... i'm wondering more about what kind of minmal install should be done so as not to complcate the OS more than necessary... any thoughts???

Back