Windows 2KPro with Sonor

P. Glaser

Hi to All:

This is my first post to this BB. I have been reading it for several weeks now and some of you appear to be very knowledgeable.

I am am old Cakewalk user from the Dos days and will be venturing into the realm of DA shortly with Sonor. My questions center around the OS.

I have a AMD 1Gig Thunderbird with 512mg pc133 ram on an ASUS MB. SB Live, Plextor CD-RW, 3 WD drives (30gig, 40gig & 80gig) and Win2k Pro OS (SP2).

My wife and I run an architectural design and drafting company so my WS is set up to run cadd programs (graphics). As I can't afford another machine at this time I want to set this one up to also run my music programs. (Finally the questions)

Would I be better off to dual boot Win2k or is it possible to set up another user profile for a "bare bones" DAW? I have had some experience with dual booting (Win ME and Win2k) and it did create some problems.

I have read that dual booting with 2 versions of Win2k is a lot less problematic. However, if it were possible to simply set up another user profile for my music programs, this would appear to be an easier solution. Obviously I can't have a setup which compromises the proformance of my Cadd programs (income and all that).

I have enough drives and partitions to keep my files on a seperate drive and could add an additional drive if necessary.

I would appreciate any comments and or sugestions which you may have. I do appologize for rambling on!

TIA :)
Paul

Welcome to the forum!

If I were you, I would consider having one of your HD dedicated to storing cakewalk/music files only and making the machine dual boot, with a minimum software/hardware config, only for music. You would of course need to include your CD-RW on that hardware profile.

Either would work. You can setup hardware profiles in w2k so that when you boot, you only the devices you specify.

However, it is my opinion that a clean install with minimal registry entries on a seperate partition or drive would probably be better in the long run.

Well, you have 3 drives already, so you can certainly set up something to work with the system you have. I agree with santa1973 that installing on a separate drive or partition is the way to go. I'd set up a dual boot, and set up the second OS on one of the drives that does not currently have an OS on it. I know you can chose the destination drive during the install of XP, and I assume you can do the same for 2K. Even better, I'd first copy any data off the drive you want to add the OS to, then reformat this drive before installing the new OS. It is always good to start with a clean slate whenever possible.

Having a drive dedicated to just reading and writing audio data is the best way to go. Since you have 3 drives, I assume you have one disk set up now for just data storage. If you have lots of room left on it, you could just use this drive for your audio data too. If not, I'd just buy another hard drive dedicated for audio data. Just make sure it is a fast drive (7200 RPM).

Back