Window or Mac???

BirchleyUK

Couldn't be newer to this but I'm building a studio in my loft to record light rock, indie and acoustic music. I'll be recording acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard and use a sampling machine to do drums. I haven't chosen a software as yet so advice on this would be helpful too but I've heard that to get going, free software with audio interfaces is worth starting with?

In the main though do I buy a new PC that runs on windows or would you advise I buy an IMAC? Pros and cons to both?

Any advice would be massively appreciated as I begin this technical journey!!

I think it's much less of an issue than the past, PC's have quite simply caught up with the MAC technology. There are no advantages to having a MAC, they just cost more and look sexier

This is why it shouldn't be hashed out. :facepalm:
Apple use generic PC technology! Intel processors and gpus. Nvidia/ati in desktop models…broadcom lan/wireless/bluetooth…It's all the same stuff.

There are advantages each way depending on what you want but OP, if you have to ask the question the answer is just pick the one you know.

I think it's much less of an issue than the past, PC's have quite simply caught up with the MAC technology. There are no advantages to having a MAC, they just cost more and look sexier

That is some funny S(*t!

There's no need to hash this all out again.
Read here.

If you have experience with either, go with that one.

^^^^

This.

Either can work fine. If you already know one system or the other, go with what you know. There are all sorts of other choices (which software in particular) that are far more significant than the computer.

One thing I will say is to probably NOT choose your interface hardware based on the software that comes with it. That software is pretty well always a stripped down version designed to get you to go through the learning curve then want to buy the expensive full version of the same thing.

Most (though not all) audio software offers free trial downloads...some time limited, some crippled with tones. I'd download a bunch and see if you get an "Aha! this makes sense" moment where one user interface suits you better than others.

Start with Reaper...far cheaper than most, very popular so lots of support and does most things. (Spoken as a non Reaper user BTW.)

^^^^

This.

Either can work fine. If you already know one system or the other, go with what you know. There are all sorts of other choices (which software in particular) that are far more significant than the computer.

One thing I will say is to probably NOT choose your interface hardware based on the software that comes with it. That software is pretty well always a stripped down version designed to get you to go through the learning curve then want to buy the expensive full version of the same thing.

Most (though not all) audio software offers free trial downloads...some time limited, some crippled with tones. I'd download a bunch and see if you get an "Aha! this makes sense" moment where one user interface suits you better than others.

Start with Reaper...far cheaper than most, very popular so lots of support and does most things. (Spoken as a non Reaper user BTW.)

+1

Back