Window Air Conditioner

Alex W

The room I'm working in has an existing window-mount air conditioner that I'm considering relocating to inside my rehearsal space by installing it in a window casement within the enclosure. I plan to seal it around the edges and suitably isolate the remaining exposed portions of the window frame with a combination of sheetrock and insulation. I'm considering this because I want to get some air flow in and out of the room; and the quote I got for a fairly simple split system was about US$3,000. Is this a bad idea? Will it severely compromise my isolation on that wall of the room? Should I consider building an external housing around the outside of the unit? Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Alex

I'm building a studio with a similar challenge. There is a window mounted HVAC system. It is really noisy, so I discussed this with my builder. He says he has tried retrofitting window units into crawlspaces and into special enclosures and it was disastrous. He believes the only way to address it is to get a whole new unit that compresses and does thermal exchange outside the building with an oversized vent system into the building and perhaps some baffles.

He is probably right. I have my unit mounted inside the entry way to my studio. Then he has a vent that connects this entry way with the main room, using a quiet fan to exchange air. Normally, I will just open the double doors to the entryway and let the unit work as planned. When I need more quiet, I will close off the entry way and let the fan do the trick. For mortuary-like silence I will have to turn the unit off.

I assume that you will have sound leakage problems with your installation.

Good Luck!

Todzilla,

Sounds similar. The window unit I've got is installed in what is soon to be my entryway to the room as well. Maybe I should just leave it there and run a fan-driven ventillation duct into the room like you're doing. It sounds like your builder put the ventillation into your room. Any chance of my doing this myself? What kind of fan and duct work were used? I'm not very familiar with what's available. Your help is much appreciated.

Alex

Thanks John. Sorry for the re-tread. I traced the previous thread and saw questions regarding the proper type of insulation to install in the MDF-constructed duct, but couldn't find a clear resolution.

Has anyone done an insulated duct of this type and if so, what type of insulation was used? Basically, I'm familiar with two general types--the fiberglass batting and rigid fiberglass board (Knauff or equivalent).

Thanks, Alex

The rigid is commonly used. The 1" takes up less room yet provides the full absorption in the duct.

cheers
John

we just finished the ventilation system for our studio (keep in mind it's just rehearsal, not recording)

Our design was VERY similar to the posted thing with a few exceptions. First of all in the wall type unit (like in the drawing) the side that faces into the room has two parts....one that sucks and one that blows.

yeah........ :)

anywho. the intake is right next to the output and are both on the same side of the wall. This causes a problem because no fresh oxygen is introduced. The CO2 filled air is just continually cooled and recooled. The back side of the ac unit hanging outside is there simply to cool get rid of heat.

Here's our solution: (I hope it makes sense because it's working REALLY nicely)

What we ended up doing was putting another 1 hole in the wall on 2 sides. There's 2" pvc going from fresh air through the inner and outer walls and then into the room. Now, we were afraid that simply having these bent pipes wouldn't circulate the air, because the ac unit is stirring it but not pushing it in or out.

Our solution was to run one of the pipes into the intake duct. The intake duct has a closable pannel creating a vacuum. The more we close the intake duct on the ac unit, the more it's forced to get it's intake from the outside fresh air.

Basically we can decided how much air to recycle and how much fresh air to pull in.

As for sound leakage, I'd still watch out for the insulation. You don't want to be breathing that stuff in. we actually didn't really use anything in the ducts and the sound leakage is still pretty minimal so far. Also the system is extremely quiet. I'm pretty sure it's tolerable for recording.

I didn't get any dig camera pics of the system, but have some on film when I get them developed. I'll post them when I can.

Alex W said:
Todzilla,

Sounds similar. The window unit I've got is installed in what is soon to be my entryway to the room as well. Maybe I should just leave it there and run a fan-driven ventillation duct into the room like you're doing. It sounds like your builder put the ventillation into your room. Any chance of my doing this myself? What kind of fan and duct work were used? I'm not very familiar with what's available. Your help is much appreciated.

Alex
I would think the work to do this yourself would be fairly straightforward. You just need to put a bigass duct (oversized is good) with grates at either end. As for a fan, I'm not sure, but I would think an HVAC supply house could advise you on what would work and still be silent.

Good LUck!

Executivos,

Sounds like a cool setup. I'd be interested in seeing your pictures when they are developed.

Is your AC unit a standard window mount type? If so, is the air intake duct you're talking about part of that package? In any case it sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the post.

Alex

yes it's a standard 6,000 btu window unit from lowes. hehe is got bumped with a fork lift and had a lend bit of a dent in the metal in the back so they marked it down from like 180 bucks to 92. :) (We did some body work and fixed the dent)

Pictures when I get them...........

I think so You will buy at lg ac LG Prima LWA3PR5D|1.0 Ton|5 Star is best features and specifications its cool features his noisy level (db) 50. LG provides good service everywhere and his features :-

Compressor Type Rotary
Running Current (Amps) 5.1
Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) 3.2
5 Star Ratings
Bacteria Filter
Deodorizing Filter
Air Circulation (High) (CFM) 450

You can buy at naaptol.com

Back