Win7 upgrades?

Wayon

I just bought a new desktop and I don't want it to ever see the internet. A friend suggested that I might want to go online to get the Win7 upgrades, especially because this OS is fairly new.

Do I really need the upgrades? Can I get them on disc?

Thanks.

Nah. Most of the updates I've seen are security updates that have to do with the being connected to the internet.

Rumor has it that SP1 will be out soon. If you're not going to be connected to the internet, just download the service packs from another computer (or order a free CD from Microsoft) whenever they're available. Daily updates aren't really necessary for a non-internet computer.

For an individual, connecting via Windows Update is the best way to go. Companies can set up their own WSUS (Windows Secure Update services) server to download updates locally and distribute them, but that is too much work & expense for the average person.

I would strongly suggest that you connect to the internet once every two weeks or so to download and install "Critical" updates. Just turn off automatic updates and do it manually. With a new OS like Windows 7 there will inevitably be a lot of fixes coming out. Then simply disconnect the PC from your ISP when you are not updating.

rough rule of thumb for system one uses to work (as in work with audio) if it aint broke don't fix it

if you are relatively secure via isolation then upgrading purely for the sake of upgrading (as long as system is stable and performs like you want) makes little sense. MS never explains, to consumer, things that are altered in patches and upgrades and all sorts of things can have unintended consequences

in the move from XP to XP sp2 the way firewire was handled changed in a way that adversely effected a number of audio interfaces, for example.

If things remain consistent with past if & when a Win7 sp2 arrives it will contain all relevant intermediates, and typically MS has supplied a free disc to registered owners.

a patch necessary in improve performance is a different matter and then if you wish to remain un internetted slipstreaming (down load on one system install on another) is your option . . . but you'd want to go to MS web site for that info in any case

Back