Win 98 & Win XP Dual Boot?

Aoresteen

I ended up needing to run Win98 for my MOTU parallel port MIDI Express PC Notebook MIDI router. At first I used a Toshiba Libretto 70CT but I have now configured my Compaq Evo N600c laptop to boot DOS, Win98 SE, and Win XP SP3. It took awhile traking down all my old Win98 CD's & tools but I managed to stumble through it. The 866 MHz P3 Evo laptop has a gig of RAM and a 120 GB hard drive. I created three partitions (DOS gets 2 gigs FAT, Win98 gets 12 GB FAT32, and XP gets the rest - 106 GB NTFS.)

I also needed Win 98 to run Alesis Sound Bridge so that I can program flash cards for my QSR synth. So I figured I'd load a copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 to have when I am booted in Win98 and need to play a MIDI file. It took me a couple of days to track down the CDs and the CD key info but I managed to stumble through it. When I was done I recalled that I needed to load some Pro Audio 9 patches. After a bit of searching I found them on Cakewalk's site and now I am running Pro Audio 9.03 under Win 98 SE.

Win XP is used for Sonar 4.0.4 PE and all my other apps on the laptop.

I could have avoided using Win98 by buying new gear from MOTU that works with Win XP and getting a new synth but there is nothing wrong with the the gear I have. It's just alergic to Windows XP.

Anyone else dual booting Win98 & Win XP to keep some 'legacy' equipment working?

Tony

I used to dual boot 98SE & XP a long time ago. But that had nothing to do with audio. Games ran better on 98 at the time because it doesn't use as much RAM, but 98 was a bitch to get on the internet for some reason.

Now I triple boot XP for various reasons. Mostly to keep my internet and gaming seperate from the audio stuff. Plus I have different audio hardware for games and different audio hardware for music.

But in answer to your question...Yes, it seems perfectly reasonable to dual boot for that reason.

I don't know about dual booting, however, i had a dedicated Cubase 3.7r2 DAW I built in 1997 for just that, 3.7. I never used anything else as I have astered it. It just recently crashed on me like 3 weeks ago. So I am now on the hunt to build a pro tools rig.

It was like a family member died :(:(:(

Cheers

..... but 98 was a bitch to get on the internet for some reason.

Win98 is hard to get on the Internet because it comes with Internet Explorer 5. One of the first things I do when setting up Win98 is to load Internet Explorer 6 then try to get on the net.

Win98 & IE 5 will drive you nvt NUTS!

Tony

Back