Wimpy G4 soundcard?

swindle

I'd like to start running 'Reason' (new sound program) on my late model G4. My question? Well, is the internal stock soundcard sufficient to work with in my home studio (right out of the mini jack with some high quality cables)?

One thing I noticed while doing this is that the output level seems low. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hey Swindle,
I use the built-in sound on my G4. It works fine for me. I'm not at my Mac now, but make sure your sound levels are cranked up in the Sound control panel. I need more info about your setup for more specifics. ie what are you plugging the output into? are you using a mixer?
I'm not familiar with Reason. Is it that virtual rack synth? If it is a virtual synth, won't you need a midi controller and interface?

Wimpy G4 Soundcard??

I'm running right out of the G4 stock card to a mackie 12-channel. The levels are still considerably lower than any other piece of hardware (keyboards etc.) that I have plugged into the mixer.
It's good to hear that this stock soundcard will suffice for now since my cash is on lockdown for the moment. But, I'm not sure what you meant by not needing a MIDI interface for Reason (the virtual rack synth). Won't I need some way of locking up start and stop times with external equipment? And how about using this midi capable keyboard I have as a controller, it should work as long as I get some sort of midi USB interface right?
Thanks a lot!

Swindle

I did mean you will need a midi interface and the midi keyboard will work just fine as a controller. I use a similar setup. I use the Steinberg USB-2-Midi interface. It works great.
The levels coming out of the G4 should be about the same as your other hardware. My Sound Control panel has the levels at the maximum and the input is selected as built-in sound in. "Play sound thru output device" and "check signal level" options are both not selected. Output is set to built-in (I have no other choice for output.) Also, check your output levels in Reason. Hope this helps you out.

Back