wimpy drummer!

martin

i'm soon going to be laying down some drum tracks, and the problem i have is in the drummer's playing style. he is nice and strong on his snare and kick, but he hits the cymbals oh-so-lightly: he just taps them on the top of the bell, rather than really hitting them on the edge and bringing out the full colour of the cymbals. i believe this stems from years of practicing in his parents' living room and trying to keep the noise down, or something.
anyway, i'll try and get him to play louder and really hit his cymbals strongly, but i know it's a habit of his, and i'm wondering what kind of recording techniques i can use to improve the sound. my inclinations tell me to raise the cymbals a bit when recording: this will both increase their proximity to the mics (i.e., their volume), and it may also make it hard for the drummer to reach over the cymbals, and force him to hit them on the edge. at the same time, though, i want him to be comfortable playing.

any ideas?

Speaking as a musician, I would say it's your job as the engineer to first do whatever you can to capture a good sound before you ask the musician to change his playing style. That should be the absolute last resort. You could suggest re-arranging his kit, or telling him to hit the symbols harder, but in the end it's the playing that's importent. Don't pressure him into not being able to play his best (which will be with his own setup and style) to make your job easier.

Can you get another mic just on the cymbal? Are you just using the overheads to pickup the cymbals?

Ziller

I agree with you Ziller about telling the drummer to change his style as a last resort in a PROFESSIONAL situation. But when your just getting some recordings down you have to make do with what is around and everything won't be ideal so you make do best and all co-operate unless you want to pretend being more professional that you are!

Ta
Nick

Yea, I hear what your saying. I was only suggesting trying whatever you can, like maybe different mic placement, or whatever. I don't know about other drummers, but I have a hard time playing a kit setup different then I'm used to.

Ziller

I would get the guy really stoned and then subject him to something monstrously heavy like Slayer or Machine Head...

He'll be desperate to hit things harder after that...

Failing that - just tell him...

What sort of music is it...?

Dave.

Back