Wimdows 10, diving in.

I tend to agree but "What'yer Gonna Do?" I suspect the vast majority of W10 users will not mind/never notice the Ms shennanegins tis only "power users" like sound and video people that have problems and they tend to find solutions. Microsoft have never made things easy for the MEEJA people (they say Bill Gate's granny was frightened by a saxophone player) .

Then don't underestimate the hackers? They were pretty quick to bring out GWX to stop the W10 nagging.

Of course there is a possibility that Ms will so fuck the OS up for professionals such as yourself that there is a mass migration to macs and Linux? In which case they might pause for thought? Happened before. Remember the Great XP Rollback Option for Blista?

Dave.

I would having a hard time going to an Apple OS, they are worse than MS. Apple OS roll out, pack your stuff, time to move and you can take very little with you. At this point, the only thing holding Linux back is hardware support. If that every happens, lots of people will abandon both Apple and MS and I think I would be one of them.

I really like Linux, just lack of hardware drivers. This whole Eco system Google, Apple and now MS are doing is just sucking.

I tend to agree but "What'yer Gonna Do?"

It's not so much Win 10...I mean, upgrades will always come, and at some point real old shit becomes obsolete beyond any usability.
It the way they are going with the subscription/online/auto-update model....which I think at some point will remove ALL control and choice from the end-user. You'll have two options, use their product the way they want you to use it...or don't...and that's all that concerns me.

My "power user" rig...my DAW...that's rocking Win 7 and will continue for many, many, years to come. It's offline, so I don't have a problem with MS updates.

It's not so much Win 10...I mean, upgrades will always come, and at some point real old shit becomes obsolete beyond any usability.
It the way they are going with the subscription/online/auto-update model....which I think at some point will remove ALL control and choice from the end-user. You'll have two options, use their product the way they want you to use it...or don't...and that's all that concerns me.

My "power user" rig...my DAW...that's rocking Win 7 and will continue for many, many, years to come. It's offline, so I don't have a problem with MS updates.

Yes, I get that M but I can see several scenarios developing?

1) Pro users will get seriously pissed off with MS and demand action (ok! Yes, I KNOW Ms rarely listen but y'never know?)
2) The very clever hacker people will keep one step ahead of Ms.
3) Guys like you will get their systems sorted on W10 as it is NOW then image or clone the drive and, as you are now with W7, never connect to the net ever again. You will keep a cheap, fucked up laptop for downloading drivers and uploading tunes!

Re hardware support for Linux? I know nothing of the OS (fork! I have enough trouble with W7!) but I lent my KA6 to a chap at SoS forum for a month and he was so impressed with its performance on Linux that he bought one. If Ms continue to play increasingly silly buggers perhaps we should all lobby the big AI mnfctrs to make Linux drivers available? If say RME so jumped and TOLD Ms why THAT might wake the buggers up!

Dave.

No love for MS here but, as DM60 said, Apple are even worse. I looked long and hard a Linux a while back but too much of the software that I need to run isn't designed to play nice with Linux. People keep telling me that I can always use Audacity in Linux--but I don't think they understand much about audio.

I thought long and hard about staying on Windows 7 and checked all my necessary hardware and software for Win 10 compatibility before making the change. So far so good. Indeed, I'm finding little things in 10 that I prefer to 7. Why did I bother? Well, I'm wondering about devices like the "Surface Pro" combining a keyboard and touch screens as a possible way of doing audio work in the future. No firm plans yet but that seems like the way of the world in the future.

Yes Bobbs, I have been reading "Win10 for Dummies" and there are some things that look useful (One Drive e.g.) but the actual DOING of it really gets me down! Just finding my C drive was a PITA.

I can see Bob, that you might be someone who will get W10 working as you want it, clone the drive and then lock it down for eternity?

Re macs? The latest Tascam AI does not as yet work on them in the lowest latency USB 3.0 mode. Maybe Tascam think "Why should we bother? They could pull the rug next year!" THAT could happen to Ms if they cluck the "pros" about too much?

Dave.

I'd love to claim I'd done all that but I'm one of the lucky ones. Win 10 just worked from square one. I've done a few things to customise it (turning off auto update was the main one) but my files were where I left them, and I really didn't have to do much. I'm waiting to hear more about the most recent major update before I risk that though...I have too many projects on the go just now.

Had been feeling pretty smug about how smooth the windows 10 upgrade had gone...and then the anniversary update installed itself last week and smashed a great big bowling ball through my music software. Getting registry errors on pretty much all of the commercial software programs and reinstalling isn't making any difference.

Booked it into the repair shop and looks like I'm not going to be doing much until it gets resolved. Balls.

I'd love to claim I'd done all that but I'm one of the lucky ones. Win 10 just worked from square one. I've done a few things to customise it (turning off auto update was the main one) but my files were where I left them, and I really didn't have to do much. I'm waiting to hear more about the most recent major update before I risk that though...I have too many projects on the go just now.

Oh! The update was no great problem, I just have a hard time working ten!
I don't know how big the drive is that contains your OS and DAW(s) Bob but I bought a 1TB hard drive and cloned mine using Macrium free software. Fortunately I have not needed that backup, most of my stuff still works after the update.

You would need to budget for a whole day and an early rise to get it all done though!

Dave.

Had been feeling pretty smug about how smooth the windows 10 upgrade had gone...and then the anniversary update installed itself last week and smashed a great big bowling ball through my music software. Getting registry errors on pretty much all of the commercial software programs and reinstalling isn't making any difference.

Booked it into the repair shop and looks like I'm not going to be doing much until it gets resolved. Balls.

Man, that does suck balls!

Based on this I've done some Googling and problems with the Windows 10 anniversary update are getting a lot of press--I won't be doing it for a good while methinks. Sorry you're having so many problems but thanks for the alert.

Granny's and eggs notwithstanding, did you not make an image of the drive pre update?
I know it is tucked away a bit but Restore is still there in W10. I am sure you have tried Ccleaner Registry fixer?

Dave.

I haven't had any problems with it on my laptop. I'd been having trouble installing it on my desktop computer-- it kept failing-- so I decided to just let it install automatically since it's being rolled out in waves the way the original Windows 10 update was.

Yesterday I decided to try the manual update check again and this time the installation worked. I don't remember how long it took to install after rebooting on my laptop-- it took well over 6 or 7 hours total, including the lengthy download and preparation time before rebooting-- but on my desktop computer it took about 3 hours to install after rebooting.

Since my desktop computer is what I normally run my DAWs, soft synths, and plugins on, I'll be keeping a close eye on it. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but then I haven't really used any of them yet since updating. I guess I'll have to go through every single DAW, soft synth, and plugin to see if anything blows up!

Granny's and eggs notwithstanding, did you not make an image of the drive pre update?
I know it is tucked away a bit but Restore is still there in W10. I am sure you have tried Ccleaner Registry fixer?

Dave.

It doesn't sound like what happened to robgreen but, from Googling, it seems that a lot of people are having a system freeze right at startup so they can't even get to the Restore option. I've seen some 3rd party stuff recommended for doing the Restore from the boot screen but I have no plans to try my luck--I'll leave it to others to beta test this new version of Win10.

It doesn't sound like what happened to robgreen but, from Googling, it seems that a lot of people are having a system freeze right at startup so they can't even get to the Restore option. I've seen some 3rd party stuff recommended for doing the Restore from the boot screen but I have no plans to try my luck

A very wise approach Bobbs! If and when you do I suggest you buy a new hard drive and clone the existing one before you start. No bad thing in any case since hard drives will fail one day.

Dave.

Dave.

Thanks fellas. Been away so only just seen this. Updates have always just been automatic on my machine & never had any problems...until now. I don't know much about this side of computers & didn't even know there was this bug update due until suddenly nothing worked. On that basis, no image of my drive either - I've no idea how I'd even do that.

Phoned the repair shop & dropped it off the day before going on holiday. Just read up now that the period for rolling back updates has just been reduced by Microsoft from 31 to 10 days & I'm now beyond that. Great move when rolling out a huge update that causes loads of problems!?

I fear i may be stuck without these programs now unless the repair shop can work some magic or toontrack & ik multimedia can suggest a workaround. I don't know if it's corrupted something in the background somewhere or these are just not compatible with this new version - makes me nervous about buying anything else in case it doesn't work.

Will try the ccleaner registry cleaner as a final attempt if not already done so by the repairer - hadn't wanted to do so previously in case it interfered with anything he wanted to look at.

I'm seeing on other forums people talking about problems with the Win 10 Anniversary Update and solid state drives.
Things slowing down a lot and/or freezing...etc....etc.

Both of my Win10 desktops updated with no problems. The big anniversary update only took a couple of minutes and it was done.

My stepson had his laptop fail to boot into windows on that same day though. Eventually it did come up and has been running ever since. Scary moment though...

The big anniversary update only took a couple of minutes and it was done.

Wow, that's incredible! It normally takes a lot longer than a couple of minutes just to download it, then a lot longer just to "prepare" the installation, then a lot longer still to actually install it after the computer's been rebooted. Even if you're talking about only the install-after-reboot portion, your two Windows 10 desktop computers must be blazingly fast! :eek:

Wow, that's incredible! It normally takes a lot longer than a couple of minutes just to download it, then a lot longer just to "prepare" the installation, then a lot longer still to actually install it after the computer's been rebooted. Even if you're talking about only the install-after-reboot portion, your two Windows 10 desktop computers must be blazingly fast! :eek:

I know, after all of the horror stories I'd heard, I was surprised. I was prepared to be without the gaming computer overnight or something. I told it to update and reboot, and it wasn't but 2 or 3 minutes before I was back at my desktop. Same with my audio machine. They're running i7 4790K and 4770K, respectively. Both have Samsung EVO SSD system drives...maybe that sped up the installation? Whatever the cause, I'm just happy that everything went smoothly.

Back