Will Vista be OK for recording on this PC?

steelphantom

I have an older PC that has an "acquired" copy of XP on it. I have a copy of Vista (as well as a copy of Windows Server 2003) free through my school, and I was wondering how Vista would perform on it for audio recording. That's pretty much all I'm going to use it for. Here are the rough specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1GB RAM
GeForce 5200
Delta 1010LT PCI Audio Card

I don't need all the fancy eye candy of Vista, and will be fine running everything in the classic interface (i.e. no Aero glass, etc.) and turning off search indexing, gadgets, and the like. Will my processor or RAM be a bottleneck, or could I comfortably record 6-8 tracks with no problems? Are there any issues with Vista and the Delta 1010LT?

Thanks for any input you guys might have.

Every test I have seen has Vista performing worse than XP or almost equal to, never better. Also, many drivers and apps havent made the jump yet. I am hopeful this will change soon, at least for vista64

First think I can think of to do would be increase ram to 2 gigs. I don't have Vista running on my DAW, but did setup a Vista machine for a client (not for audio work though). Even with 2 gigs installed, it wasn't running near what I expected and get in Windows XP Pro.

In regards to M-Audio products and Vista drivers:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=2b9102ba8e228823582720fb3beba029

Looks like they are available, but as to how good they work, couldn't say. Maybe so search in this forum or a Google search and see what comes up. I'm personally not planning to go to Vista anytime soon.

First think I can think of to do would be increase ram to 2 gigs. I don't have Vista running on my DAW, but did setup a Vista machine for a client (not for audio work though). Even with 2 gigs installed, it wasn't running near what I expected and get in Windows XP Pro.

In regards to M-Audio products and Vista drivers:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=2b9102ba8e228823582720fb3beba029

Looks like they are available, but as to how good they work, couldn't say. Maybe so search in this forum or a Google search and see what comes up. I'm personally not planning to go to Vista anytime soon.

I'll probably stick with Windows XP then on that PC, which it has been running fine for about 5 years. I figured that I'd have to add more RAM. Thanks for your input.

holy shit do not put vista on anything!
vista will soak up your gig of ram and leave you lagged and screaming with some keyboard slamming in there at some point (personal experience). its also less user friendly and just to be safe on compatibility, stick with the xp! :)

holy shit do not put vista on anything!
vista will soak up your gig of ram and leave you lagged and screaming with some keyboard slamming in there at some point (personal experience). its also less user friendly and just to be safe on compatibility, stick with the xp! :)

Some people do have it working, unfortunately you're not one of them. I've been hearing some experiences people are having with testing SP1 for Vista, and I'm still not convinced it's a good move just yet. Another unfortunate thing is that many that have been coming to forums for help, have been stuck with Vista and have to somehow make it work. There has been success here and elsewhere, but it takes patience and faith in the hardware/software companies in that they are compatible and ready to roll.

steelphantom: I would stick with XP. My only Vista install was on a brand new, dual-core machine. Personally, I've no plans to move to Vista yet. I just built a new DAW PC (all new mainboard, cpu, ram, etc.) with dual-core AMD 64, a couple gigs of ram, and stuck with XP Pro as my OS.

Back