Will those hangy ceiling tiles work?

capnkid

Optimus Prime
I moved into a house last summer, and I can use the basement. There is a concrete wall going down the center for support, and one side is free, and that one side is about 14'x40'.

Ok, the floors are concrete, and the walls a cinderblock, the ceiling is insulated. I think the owners were going to finish the ceiling, but installed radiant heat and what is in one corner is about 100 of those brand new 2'x4' white hangy ceiling tiles. Can I use these to create a better recording atmosphere by using them on the walls somehow?

I moved into a house last summer, and I can use the basement. There is a concrete wall going down the center for support, and one side is free, and that one side is about 14'x40'.

Ok, the floors are concrete, and the walls a cinderblock, the ceiling is insulated. I think the owners were going to finish the ceiling, but installed radiant heat and what is in one corner is about 100 of those brand new 2'x4' white hangy ceiling tiles. Can I use these to create a better recording atmosphere by using them on the walls somehow?

Are you talking about a suspended ceiling tiles?

If so, it certainly wont make a concrete wall sound any worse!... but I think most people would recommend something better ;)

about 100 of those brand new 2'x4' white hangy ceiling tiles.
It depends. Look at the tiles and if they are made from a yellow rigid fiberlass insulation with a vinyl face, they will work. Just peel off the vinyl and lightly spray an adhesive such as 3M spray adhesive on ONE FACE of 2 tiles. When it gets tacky, stick them togeather. Usually these are about 5/8" thick. This will give you tiles about 1 1/4" thick or if you use 3 tiles, about 2"t which is just fine for broadband absorption. Then spray the back and wrap them in a fabric of your choice or frame them. Even use 2 stacks side by side for 4'x4' panels. If you frame them, make the frames wide enough so you have a 1" airgap between the back of the tiles and the boundary(wall), which will lower the absorption frequency. Use whatever hanging technique you fancy...ie...wire, cableties, nails..velcrow, or whatever.

Hang them in a checkerboard fashion on the walls, with each opposite wall haveing the opposite...either plain wall or panel. This will make use of the "edge effect", which will enhance absorption by diffraction.

However, if these tiles are the pressed cardboard type, or are fairly heavy, they won't do didly squat.
fitZ

Do you own the house, or are you renting? That's such a long room, it would be hard not to want to finish it into 2 rooms. (Control and Tracking)

Might make the home more valuable too since you could easily convert the rooms into a bedroom and media room.

It depends. Look at the tiles and if they are made from a yellow rigid fiberlass insulation with a vinyl face, they will work. Just peel off the vinyl and lightly spray an adhesive such as 3M spray adhesive on ONE FACE of 2 tiles. When it gets tacky, stick them togeather. Usually these are about 5/8" thick. This will give you tiles about 1 1/4" thick or if you use 3 tiles, about 2"t which is just fine for broadband absorption. Then spray the back and wrap them in a fabric of your choice or frame them. Even use 2 stacks side by side for 4'x4' panels. If you frame them, make the frames wide enough so you have a 1" airgap between the back of the tiles and the boundary(wall), which will lower the absorption frequency. Use whatever hanging technique you fancy...ie...wire, cableties, nails..velcrow, or whatever.

Hang them in a checkerboard fashion on the walls, with each opposite wall haveing the opposite...either plain wall or panel. This will make use of the "edge effect", which will enhance absorption by diffraction.

However, if these tiles are the pressed cardboard type, or are fairly heavy, they won't do didly squat.
fitZ

Thanyou, I'll have to go inpect them.

Do you own the house, or are you renting? That's such a long room, it would be hard not to want to finish it into 2 rooms. (Control and Tracking)

Might make the home more valuable too since you could easily convert the rooms into a bedroom and media room.

renting, for now.

Back