will this setup work for live club recording????

Digital Reason

Okay here goes, I haven't had as much experience doing live remote recordings from clubs etc. as I have in the studio but I have been offered a gig and I just want to double check my setup with y'all so I don't run into any last minute problems.

The club uses a Allan and Heath Gl series console with direct outs for each fader (As do most clubs around here) so what I had in mind was taking a line from the direct outs of the FOH console and sending them into a 1604VLZ console via a 16 channel balanced quarter inch snake (TRS). Okay so this gets the signal from the stage to my mix desk via the FOH console, FIRST QUESTION, if I am coming from the direct outs of the FOH will the volume and EQ moves that the FOH engineer makes be sent to my mix desk?????? Are the direct outs pre or post fader or is it different for every live desk????

Okay next step is to get the signal from the 1604 to the recording medium (in this case 2 16bit ADATS) Since the I need to record 16 tracks at the same time and the 1604 can't route 16 places I thought that I could just run off the inserts (using a mono TS cable) to go from fader insert to designated track, thus controling the volume to tape via the mix fader and sending full EQ to tape as well. NEXT QUESTION, can I send to tape using the inserts without any major problems???????? I have never had to do this before and since I am not using the inserts for anything else when tracking and they do send a deticated post fader output signal I would believe that this is my only option.

Does anyone see any problems with this setup or can anyone see where I can make this easier?????? It seems easy enough as it is but I could be missing something here.

Thanx in advance....
Jeff
Saunavation Audio

The problem is that any good FOH engineer will already be using the inserts for compressors/limitors. You would need to split the signals before they reach the board and use your own mixer for the recording.

Call the sound man at the club and find out what options you have. If you throw an extra $20-50 at him he will probably be more cooperative.

TexRoadkill said:
The problem is that any good FOH engineer will already be using the inserts for compressors/limitors. You would need to split the signals before they reach the board and use your own mixer for the recording.

Call the sound man at the club and find out what options you have. If you throw an extra $20-50 at him he will probably be more cooperative.

No, No, I am aware of that, I AM using my own board but I am taking the signals from the FOH (Alan and Heath) direct outs (Not insert) patch points and running the direct outs channel by channel into the inputs of a mackie 1604. Then the 16 inserts on the 1604 are connected to the 16 inputs of the ADATS........I am fully aware that the FOH engineer will be using the inserts for the FOH mix thats why I am routing through the direct outs.

Was my post that unclear??????????? I thought it was pretty well said........

Jeff
SAUNAVATION AUDIO

I'm not familiar with the pre/post status of the A&H direct outs, see if you can find a manual to download or just call the FOH guy and ask him. One thing is certain though, if he changes his input trim gain it will also change your levels.

There are no problems with using all 16 inserts of the Mackie to
go to the ADATs, however they are going to be PRE EQ and PRE Fader, this means that you will only have level control via the input trim knobs and no EQ control (which is probably a good thing).

One thing you may have to look out for is grounding problems. If possible keep everything on the same circuit.

I guess if he has Direct outs and Inserts you should be okay. I was under the impression that most mixers only had one direct in/out per channel. Some call it a direct out and some combine it into a TRS direct out/insert combo. But I could be completely mistaken.

The one thing I do know for sure is that most sound guys do not want anything that will make their night any more work than it has to be. You also never know what type of whacky set up he may have going as part of his own "technique". So planning anything before consulting with him will probably be a waste of time.

You are on the right track though with your equipment. Most of your questions will be better answered by the actual sound man since there are probably 10 different ways you could do it.

That particular Mackie board has 8 direct outs doesn't it? I would run 8 lines to an adat from the inserts the way you suggested and then go ahead and run 8 from the direct outs. The ones from the direct outs you would have full control over right to the bottom of the control strips. So just decide which 8 signals you need the most control of and which you don't.

If you're coming from the A&H direct outs then they'll probably be post everything as someone else suggested and every move by the other engineer will certainly affect what you record. Some boards have an internal jumper you can change to make the direct outs post or pre fader just like auxillary sends usually do. Ask him about that. If his are pre fader then you're home-free. If not then you'll just have to make the best of it.

Hey I just searched on Mackie's site about that board. Do you realize it has 6 auxillary sends that you can make all post fader? How about this:

8 direct outs

6 auxillary send outs

2 main outs

Wouldn't that do it?

Don't Mackie keep going on about using their channel inserts as direct outs if you just stick a mono jack in halfway?

Back