Will This Damage My Monitors?

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey everyone, quick question. I have my interface and my mixer plugged into a power strip that I just turn on and off when I want the devices to turn on and off. (Neither of them have their own on/off switches.) I have a pair of M-Audio BX5a's that DO have on/off switches in the back. If I plug the speakers into the same power strip as the interface and mixer and leave the monitor switches on (so I can turn everything on at once), will this damage them? There won't be some sort of crazy power surge that blows them up, right? Thanks in advance!

I would add a second switch for the monitors and turn them on last and off first. I do this anyway to shut them off while tracking in the room to avoid that possibly damaging and always annoying feedback.

Turning the volume of the monitors down to 0 before turning off/on will also ensure no loud surges make it to the speakers.

I just leave my monitors on all the time and turn the volume down. Same with my mixer and such. It doesn't hurt anything and they really aren't using much power with no signal being fed into them and it isn't really noticeable on my electric bill.

Yeah, I have heard power amps still draw a considerable bit of power when idle (depending on the type), but even running two 100w monitors at full power, 24 hrs a day @ .9 per kWh would only be $160 per year here in Denver. I may have to research that a bit to satisfy my curiosity.

Back