Will this completely deaden sound?

punkrocker

Hey all so I have a small closet area under the stairs and I'm think about covering the whole inside with 703. Its has a wood floor so If the walls and celing are completely covered in 703 and I put a blanket on the floor will this take out all reflections? Will use it for vocals only so I want as little reflections as possible. Thanks!:)

If you do the ceiling and walls, you should be fine.
As long as there is no bare opposing surfaces.
I had a small 5 by 6 by 7 foot booth done that way and it worked perfect.
I even got some good drum sounds out of it.

Awesome I will definatly be ordering some 703 then! What do you think about mabye tracking acoustic guitar if I take off the blanket on the floor. And would it be wise to stick a 4x12 guitar cab in a dead room like this? Thanks!

Hey all so I have a small closet area under the stairs and I'm think about covering the whole inside with 703. Its has a wood floor so If the walls and celing are completely covered in 703 and I put a blanket on the floor will this take out all reflections? Will use it for vocals only so I want as little reflections as possible. Thanks!:)
Yeah, no need to do the floor though.

Awesome I will definatly be ordering some 703 then! What do you think about mabye tracking acoustic guitar if I take off the blanket on the floor. And would it be wise to stick a 4x12 guitar cab in a dead room like this? Thanks!
Yeah, anything will be fine. You can always add artificial reverb after, if you want. Nothing beats a large, awesome sounding room, but a dead booth + artificial reverb beats a small room hands down.

Does this look ok http://cgi.ebay.com/CASE-OF-12-ACOU...ryZ20594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem it says that the panels are only 1" thick is that enough? Also does anyone reccomend any other brands besides owens corning (auralex, ect.) What do I need to mount owens corning 703? Thanks again everone!
You really need it 2-4". There are many companies which offer something similar to OC703. I'm sure there's a thread in here telling you what to get and where.

ok then. I have been looking around and it looks like mineral wool would be cheaper for the same size would 2.5 density or 8 pound density be better

8 lb would be better for low frequency but not quite as good for higher frequencies. But given you are going to kill off the whole room I don't think you will really notice a huge difference either way. I am surprised though that is jumps from 2.5 to 8 lb with nothing in between.
Kind of one extreme to another. I think I used 4 lb density.

can't remember it has been a while.

ok then. I have been looking around and it looks like mineral wool would be cheaper for the same size would 2.5 density or 8 pound density be better
I'd say 8lb would be best. If you're gonna cover the whole place, you don't want the bass to boom, so 8lb would be best for bass.

ok just checking cuz i heard that after 4lb the high freq start to reflect. is this true? Also had another thought. I could make basically a 4' by 2' room with these and toss a blanket over the top. This way I could put it in my large bonus room and have the panels be mobile so they could be used for other things.I think i might take this route if it will give the same results.

ok just checking cuz i heard that after 4lb the high freq start to reflect. is this true? Also had another thought. I could make basically a 4' by 2' room with these and toss a blanket over the top. This way I could put it in my large bonus room and have the panels be mobile so they could be used for other things.I think i might take this route if it will give the same results.

Don't use 8psf - the 2.5 will be fine - best if you can mount it 2" off the wall (much better LF attenuation than tight to the wall).

A blanket is a joke - will affect some highs - will not touch low highs - mids or LF at all - stick with your original plan.

Rod

Don't use 8psf - the 2.5 will be fine - best if you can mount it 2" off the wall (much better LF attenuation than tight to the wall).

A blanket is a joke - will affect some highs - will not touch low highs - mids or LF at all - stick with your original plan.

Rod
The 8 will reflect some highs, but wont it be better for LF (problem frequencies)?

What if I build a box frame out of wood and then make the walls and ceiling out of mineral wool? Would this be as effective as permanently attaching panels in a small room? I would like the portability but if it will not yield the same results then I will go with the permanent attachment of panels method. Thanks for all the great replies!

What if I build a box frame out of wood and then make the walls and ceiling out of mineral wool? Would this be as effective as permanently attaching panels in a small room? I would like the portability but if it will not yield the same results then I will go with the permanent attachment of panels method. Thanks for all the great replies!
Should work fine, imo.

Nope - it's worse - even with an added air space versus no air space for the same thickness.

Go to Bobgolds.com and take a walk through the data.

Rod
Yeh, but for the most of it, at bobgolds, you don't see the full picture. Bobgolds is great, I'm not putting it down in any way, it's an awesome source, but I'm sure that(better bass absorption) is the reason brian(bpape) offers 8lb at sensiblesoundsolutions.com

"2'x4'x4" 8lb Density Mineral Wool

Excellent material for bass absorbtion. High density material works well down into the bass. Smooth absorbtion curve at 125hz and above."

I know who i'm debating with, and i know how much more knowledgable you are than i, in the field of acoustics, but i also know what I have learned. I know you have written a book(s), and I may even have bought it(1), wait maybe that was F. Alton Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics, anyway i know you are probably right with this one, but i was quite sure of it before.

Hopefully someone else(Bpape maybe) will join, who knows more about my side than me, to give the reasons/evidence for what I'm saying or correct me.

The only place the 8lb might be more effective would be way down in the very deep bass - like 60Hz down or potentially even lower. Problem is, there's no way to accurately test that as the room has way too much impact down there and any lab to lab variance would swamp any potential difference.

4" thickness with a 2" gap, 4lb would be fine. 2.5lb is very similar to OC703 density wise and should work fine too.

If it was going to be a pure broadband bass absorber with a membrane attached to it, then I'd want the 8lb but simply due to the additional stiffness which will cause the membrane effect to be shifted lower in frequency.

Bryan

I did some 2lbs rockwool panels (4" L/R RFZ and 5" and 8" clouds) and seems working as good as the 4lbs I have in the corners.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau
Ok then so I'm think I'm going to use 2.5lb roxul afb mineral wool as walls and a roof for a portable booth type thing. Does anyone have any advice on wraping material. I have heard burlap and muslin are good and would rather go with muslin as burlap tends to make me sneeze (dont want one of those in the middle of a vocal take haha). Thanks again to everyone for helping me through this!

Back