Will the SP VTB-1 give me some grit for a live bass rig?

Executivos

Hi, this is not one of those "First mic preamp under $200" posts....I have some telefunkens and some ssls for main mic pres. I'm looking for something to get gritty---mostly for a live bass rig.

See, I'm not a bass player per se, and but I'm playing bass with a band right now and rather than dropping a bunch of cash on a real amp I'd just like to piece together a rack of studio gear. (Yeah I know this is probably a terrible idea, but it's working so far) Basically whatever gear I buy I wouldn't mind being able to use it for my studio as well. (I'm down for a $100 distorted effect vocal sound, so I could use it as a mic pre)

So anyway I'm using a joemeek vc6q as a front end into a rack mount power amp...it sounds pretty good so far but I'd like to add some grit to the sound....just to the point of distortion but not quite all out muff pi style...

To all the VTB-1 users: can you get this sort of sound or am I wasting my time? I can use my pod pro (guitar pod pro) but I don't really want to have to take it everywhere with me. More importantly is the point of distorting the tube the right kind of distortion I want for a bass rig?

I don't come to this board much anymore...so forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't you the one that only shows up to post negatively on sp stuff? Do you just search for studio projects threads? Man I wish I had the time you do. 7 posts every day for 2 years?

I thought I directed my question to vtb owners; I guess you've got several of them right?

I only asked here because this is where people seem to know about this preamp....

i don't own the vtb-1, but i think i know the sound your after... my bass player has a fairly clean rig, and we had difficulty pulling that full "brink of distotion tube sound". solution : boss bass overdrive effect pedal with the drive turned to virtually zero, this provides some nice compression, and cool grit around the edges.

i understand where your coming from with the vtb1 idea, it would be cool if it works.

Executivos said:
I don't come to this board much anymore...so forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't you the one that only shows up to post negatively on sp stuff? Do you just search for studio projects threads? Man I wish I had the time you do. 7 posts every day for 2 years?

I thought I directed my question to vtb owners; I guess you've got several of them right?

I only asked here because this is where people seem to know about this preamp....
Nah, he's been pretty helpful in the forums I lurk in. You want a overdrive pedal. That way you can use most any preamp. I'd check Ebay.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/teainthesahara/singles

Listen to 'palpate'. it's a live recording with a gritty bass tone; towards the end it begins to distort kind of nicely. I used an ART tube mp to get that gritty sound on that recording. I occasionaly use the VTB1 for bass DI. The cranked, overdriven tube sound of the VTB1 is markedly different from what you hear in the clip ive posted using the ART.

Hope that non-agenda based reference sound helps you out :eek: :D

T

I was going to recommend trying out the ART Tube MP as well for this app. For whatever you choose you need to try it first as different basses react differently with different DIs.

I did own the VTB1 and liked it for the preamp part but thought the DI part sort of smoothed things out too much for my taste.

Executivos said:

Not really, my intention here was to help you by answering your question honestly... and I do own a VTB-1... and I am telling you honestly as a bassist, not to waste your time or money on the VTB-1 for this application. I'm not knocking the VTB-1, but I don't recommend it for this application... because it won't give you the warmth or power I think you're looking for. Even your pod, or the sansamp, and etc works better. If you don't want to believe me that's ok, you can always buy one and find out for yourself... but, the VTB-1 doesn't sound anything like a warm powerful tube bass amp. I also own the ART Tube MP Studio V3 and it will get you closer to the sound I think you're looking for than the VTB-1... but it still doesn't nail it. Other than buying a tube amp, I think the Ampeg SVP-CL bass preamp will get you closest to the sound I think you're looking for. Anyway, I'm just trying to help... good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
DJL said:
Not really, my intention here was to help you by answering your question honestly... and I do own a VTB-1... and I am telling you honestly as a bassist, not to waste your time or money on the VTB-1 for this application. I'm not knocking the VTB-1, but I don't recommend it for this application... because it won't give you the warmth or power I think you're looking for. Even your pod, or the sansamp, and etc works better. If you don't want to believe me that's ok, you can always buy one and find out for yourself... but, the VTB-1 doesn't sound anything like a warm powerful tube bass amp. I also own the ART Tube MP Studio V3 and it will get you closer to the sound I think you're looking for than the VTB-1... but it still doesn't nail it. Other than buying a tube amp, I think the Ampeg SVP-CL bass preamp will get you closest to the sound I think you're looking for. Anyway, I'm just trying to help... good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks...I appreciate your response because you explained it---not just saying "don't buy it I like this instead" Good info from everyone, and I won't be buying the preamp. I think I'll mess with the pod pro first since I already own it.

My first response was that you seemed to be overlooking the obvious - get a stompbox.

I don't know about bass pedals, but I tried all the distortion and OD pedals a couple of years back and chose the Marshall Bluesbreaker. It has been absolutely fabulous and is, if anything, built even tougher than the Boss :eek::eek:

The VTB-1 would need mounting in a halfrack too ...

The best bass sounds I've ever had live have been when I left my sloppy-ass Peavey amp at home and run it straight through my Roland powered mixer into a 15" PA cab. Not particularly orthodox or portable, but it's the only time people have commented on how good my bass sounded.

Cardioidpotent said:
anybody know how to get a bass sound pretty close to the Dodge Ram commercials?
Try a Rick 4003 into a SansAmp and Ampeg SVT Classic... and miked with a MD421... and mixed with the SansAmp line out.

Last edited:
Rick into SansAmp... out of SansAmp into both the SVT and mixing board... and mix the mic and line together at the board.

Well, I can't afford the SVT right now, but I can afford the SansAmp. Can't really afford the 4003 either, but I've been looking for all the excuses I can to buy one. Add one more to the list. Thanks.

BTW, is there more than one model of bass SansAmp?

Cardioidpotent said:
Well, I can't afford the SVT right now, but I can afford the SansAmp. Can't really afford the 4003 either, but I've been looking for all the excuses I can to buy one. Add one more to the list. Thanks.

BTW, is there more than one model of bass SansAmp?

There's the Sansamp Bass Driver DI (which is what people are talking about here) and there's the rack equivalent equcalled the Sansamp RBI.

http://www.tech21nyc.com if you need more info.

Back