will Tascam 38 bias for BSAF900?

kiira

I have a pile of 456 that is unuable because it sheds too bad and three reels of bsaf 900 higher output tape... will the 38 bias for it? I just want to see if the 38 still works ok and can't afford new tape right now. I'm not totally competant biasing the 38 but I have a db meter and a signal generator, an old tube HP 200CD to do the job with.

wow why did Tascam have to put the bias adjustments in the darn bottom of a 60 pound machine so I have to remove panels to get to? yeesh.

oh I will trade the 900 for usable lower output tape if anyone is interested. 911 or whatever.

thanks!!!!

I broke off some plastic of the back panel, so I can remove the bottom steel panel without removing the plastic back panel. Without the back panel on you should not lie the machine on its back.

Why don´t you try for yourself? I was interested, too, if 900 works on a Tascam 38 (and other Teac/Tascam machines which use the same type of heads). I imagine that although the tape has lower distortions, the record head must output higher levels, so overall distortions are not lower than with 911/456. I guess that erasure works fine, because the 38 even erases the tape when there is lot of mud on the head.

The Ghost of FM said:
Have you ever heard about baking tapes to restore them?

Read this article!!!

I have heard of it but didn't know if it worked. I'll give it a try!!

Right now I need to play around with some known good tape because I'm trying to determine what's working in my studio and what is broken. And it's also making me a little crazy, well crazier than usual I guess. All my stuff was made about between 1978 and 1989 and it was in storage and some of it is broken.

I have my eye on an M512!!!! woot!

Uli_the_Grasso said:
I broke off some plastic of the back panel, so I can remove the bottom steel panel without removing the plastic back panel. Without the back panel on you should not lie the machine on its back.

Why don´t you try for yourself? I was interested, too, if 900 works on a Tascam 38 (and other Teac/Tascam machines which use the same type of heads). I imagine that although the tape has lower distortions, the record head must output higher levels, so overall distortions are not lower than with 911/456. I guess that erasure works fine, because the 38 even erases the tape when there is lot of mud on the head.

Hi Uli... yah good idea! I like breaking plastic anyway! You mean that little lip thingey right?

I am kicking myself because I moved it around without the back and sides. bad Kiira. I know the circuit boards are delicate. I think Ihave one dead channel but i also had a dead port on my patch panel and my horrible A&H CMC mixer sucks so I have to determine that better. I have two dead 238s. The humanity, the humanity.

You're right... I need practise learning how to bias this thing and I'm still not sure I did it right the first time so I'll give it another try and let ya'll know. I do have the factory service manual. yay for me.

Back