Will microphone isolation shields help at all with live singing?

flobeeblow45

I'm not doing any recording. I'm asking for the purposes of practicing singing in my apartment through my PA system. I don't have any room treatment. So I'm wondering if using a microphone isolation shield will improve the quality of the sound coming out the speakers of my PA system.

Thanks.

No, they just remove some of the reflections. Of course, this is assuming that the "quality of the sound" is not hampered by the current unwanted reflections (unlikely).

I'm not doing any recording. I'm asking for the purposes of practicing singing in my apartment through my PA system. I don't have any room treatment. So I'm wondering if using a microphone isolation shield will improve the quality of the sound coming out the speakers of my PA system.
It will help - in that it slightly isolates your vocals - that is the sound of you voice hitting reflective walls and going back into your Microphone - but you have to put one in place and judge whether it works or not.

Are you trying to replicate what you hear on stage? PA systems are not designed for quality unless they’re very expensive? What is it about the sound you have that you don’t like?

Are you trying to replicate what you hear on stage? PA systems are not designed for quality unless they’re very expensive? What is it about the sound you have that you don’t like?
In one area of my apartment there can be too much feedback. In another area it's too dead. Would it help in either case?

Try an Audix OM7 microphone - probably the most feedback resistant vocal mic available. You need a good mic technique to use it to its best though.

Feedback is when what comes out of the speakers gets into the mic. At that location and that speaker and mic position, that is the volume maximum. You have two choices. Reduce the speaker sound getting into the mic by a mic that picks up less in the offending direction, or move the mic and speakers. The third option, EQ, to suck out the offending frequencies I have ignored because you said you wanted to increase quality, which EQ does not in this case.

Back