wide screams?

photoresistor

hey guys,

ive been trying to figure out how you can make screams really wide sounding (usually found in some forms of metal/'metalcore') but havent had any luck... any ideas? ive messed around with a phase plugin but i couldnt get it to sound good.

thanks!

the voxengo stereo touch is a very good sounding stereo-widening delay that i use for metal vocals specifically to get that wide sound. especially for gang vocals. heres a link.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/

also, you could try splitting it into two mono tracks and offsetting one by using a sample delay or do it manually so that they are out of phase with eachother, but pan them hard right/left so you get the stereo effect.

thanks for the input! i tried copying to a different track and offsetting it a little bit manually... wasn't fully happy with it but i'll mess around with it more. how would you do it with a sample delay?

thanks again!

photoresistor said:
thanks for the input! i tried copying to a different track and offsetting it a little bit manually... wasn't fully happy with it but i'll mess around with it more. how would you do it with a sample delay?

thanks again!

i'd say just try out the plugin i linked earlier, it will sound a lot better than a manual delay.

photoresistor said:
hey guys,

ive been trying to figure out how you can make screams really wide sounding (usually found in some forms of metal/'metalcore') but havent had any luck... any ideas? ive messed around with a phase plugin but i couldnt get it to sound good.

thanks!

Hey Dan!

You need a dualmultishift. If you look for Ford Van's post on how to do it manually, you can do it long hand. Eventides kill for that effect.

Your welcome to come check out how I do it.

surfmaster said:
the voxengo stereo touch is a very good sounding stereo-widening delay that i use for metal vocals specifically to get that wide sound. especially for gang vocals. heres a link.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/

also, you could try splitting it into two mono tracks and offsetting one by using a sample delay or do it manually so that they are out of phase with eachother, but pan them hard right/left so you get the stereo effect.

what plugin do you use tp record gang bangs?

Wide screams.
Double track the sreams and pan full to each side.
EQ each scream a bit different to add more width and not make it sound too symetrical.

Eck

xfinsterx said:
Double track it.
Be militant about how tight he gets the takes.

Then pan them out respectively (sp?)

Heres an example of real double tracking being effective.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7843

Halfway through youll really hear it

Totally different effect than what I was thinking, but nice! :D

Give me a few weeks and I will have some samples of what I was talking about when I think "Wide". ;)

I agree about the layering. When it comes to screams, the more the merrier, IMO. I'll sometimes use 3 good layers, with two heavily effected and hard panned and the main one in the middle. It keeps the screams both wide and full at the same time. Sometimes mixing a 4th layer of the low-pitched death-growl underneath the main screams can make it sound a bit more sinister. I'd rather achieve this width effect with multiple takes rather than using one take with some type of plugin effect.

Back