why're my speakers buzzing?

cat-eggs

hi,

i have event ps6s and i just got a couple monster cables for them. so it goes like this: 2 cables from speakers ---> y adapter ---> soundcard 1/8"

i can hear music through them, but there's a constant buzz. anybody know how come? it didn't so this when i had shitty 1/8" radio shack cables with 1/4" adapters on them for 2 years. why now? thanks

also, why do i have to adjust the input sensitivity with a screwdriver? i just chipped the recessed plastic screw trying to make them the same. i guess i don't know my mother fucking strength

sincerely,
jessica farley

cat-eggs said:
hi,

i have event ps6s and i just got a couple monster cables for them. so it goes like this: 2 cables from speakers ---> y adapter ---> soundcard 1/8"

i can hear music through them, but there's a constant buzz. anybody know how come? it didn't so this when i had shitty 1/8" radio shack cables with 1/4" adapters on them for 2 years. why now? thanks

also, why do i have to adjust the input sensitivity with a screwdriver? i just chipped the recessed plastic screw trying to make them the same. i guess i don't know my mother fucking strength

sincerely,
jessica farley

I am far from the expert on this, but it sounds like it could be a couple of problems.

First, it could be mismatched impedence. Check the ohms on your speakers against the soundcard.

Secondly, maybe a problem with your cables (monster cables are not perfect), and make sure you don't have a bad one. Then check your connections and connectors for frayed wires, broken solder points. And check your Y-adaptor for any problems there (loose connections, etc).

Change out the cables and see of the problem persists. By substituting as many parts in the signal chain as you can, you should be able to narrow it down.

Hopefully, a more experienced member can help you out if I can't...
Good luck!

i tried switching out the cables for another set of 1/4" ones and a different y adapter. no dice

fuck it. i'll just go back to the crappy mismatched radio shack 1/8" ones. they've never given me any trouble. i just hate having adapters. it SEEMS like decent, 1/4" cables would work okay. oooooooooh weeeeeeellllllllll

cat-eggs said:
i tried switching out the cables for another set of 1/4" ones and a different y adapter. no dice

fuck it. i'll just go back to the crappy mismatched radio shack 1/8" ones. they've never given me any trouble. i just hate having adapters. it SEEMS like decent, 1/4" cables would work okay. oooooooooh weeeeeeellllllllll
Sorry, but you know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

If it was working, it was probably best left alone...

Back