Why would I use MIDI?

microchip

At the moment, I don't use MIDI for any of my recording. I have several synths which I all use regular audio outs into the soundcard.

A friend of mine told me I should use MIDI, but I don't see why. I could use MIDI to connect the keyboards to control each other, but I don't yet have a need for that.

As far as playing a MIDI line into my software, the only sounds that will come from my synth are those that are MIDI compatible from my synth right? The MIDI is not going to produce the exact same sounds as my audio outs would, so what would I need it for?

I do understand use for connecting MIDI to control modules and the like, but exactly what are all the uses for actually connecting MIDI to the computer for performance purposes? It seems like everything I would need would involve regular audio.

Now, if I am correct, a use for a MIDI performance line into the computer would be for software sampling...but what else? I am surely missing something here.

Micro

For recording sequences. Patch changes. MIDI Fx.

I'd get a MIDISPORT USB by MIDIMAN, too. Forget daisey-chaining all your keys into the computer.

If you are recording good players who know what they want and how to get it, I agree that treating synths just like regular instruments and recording the audio output is both simple and efficient.

But some of the many advantages to recording them as virtual midi tracks instead are as follows:

•In a limited track situation, you aren't using up any tape tracks.
•You can change the sound of the synth patch to something else at any time.
•You can easily correct mistakes.
•You can transpose.
•You can use midi commands to change fx parameters
•You can alter the subtle feel by sliding the tracks forward or back by tiny amounts.
•You can clean up ensemble flams by lining synth hits up to the bass or drums.

One more: you can use it to get an instant transcription into sheet music if you can play it into a MIDI instrument.

One more, not as important anymore, is that MIDI files are VERY compact compared to Audio files.

Even using midi you would still eventually record the audio output of your keyboards and modules. Recording the performance via midi gives you the option of editing the performance before you commit to 'tape'.

Good reasons suggested by all, plus I have another that may or may not apply to your situation.

I currently program all my drum tracks on my drum machine. For one thing that's incredibly tedious. However, the bigger issue is - what happens if my drum machine breaks? In that situation I'm screwed because I have nothing to fall back on besides the audio recording I made of the patterns.

I'm now looking for a software package that includes notation (especially something to facilitate drums/percussion), the ability to create a MIDI file from the notation, and a sequencer. This way I can edit the drum tracks, create a MIDI file, and store that file on my PC, which I actually do back up once in a while. Once I have that, then I'd only need the drum machine as a sound module. If something awful happens and the drum machine breaks then I'm only out a sound module, which is much more easily replaced than all the work I put in programming. That work is safe on my PC and also on my backup CDs.

Hey Micro - "The MIDI is not going to produce the exact same sounds as my audio outs would, so what would I need it for? " - The answer to this is sort of implicit in some of the above posts, but here it is direct: Yes, the MIDI track WILL produce exactly the same sound you hear from the synth, because eventually you will use the MIDI track to control YOUR SYNTH while recording the output of YOUR SYNTH to tape/disk. If you instead opted to use that MIDI track to control another synth, such as the one in a computer sound card, then you are correct; it would NOT sound the same.

With the possible exception of some of the newer Roland gear which has some "human feel" features that do NOT record onto a MIDI track, what you are recording in a MIDI sequencer is ALL the things you did while playing, such as mod wheel, pitch, key pressure, notes, durations, etc - In other words, MIDI is the digital language that records your PERFORMANCE moves, NOT the sound. this is why files are small (no digital audio) and why it's so easy to edit notes, etc, after the fact.

For some projects MIDI lets you get "close enough" to perfection, except for a few "fluffed" notes, to be able to edit the few goofs and save the time of learning the part perfect. Plus, all the other benefits mentioned above... Steve

This is all quite interesting and I appreciate all the answers...I have not used MIDI yet, and the book I have seems a little too specific for what I am getting into, so I appreciate the insights.

I thought like you and then . . .

and then I needed a keyboard track from a specific musician. The only problem was that he was gigging in Tokyo. I emailed him the rough mix in 8-bit mono and he emeiled me back the MIDI track to go along with it. Otherwise I would have had to wait months until the tour was over.

I also discovered the magic of being able to change the sound AFTER laying down the track.

Re: I thought like you and then . . .

The Byre said:
I also discovered the magic of being able to change the sound AFTER laying down the track.

What a great way to word that concept!

Right now when I modify a drum track on my drum machine and re-record the audio, I go through great pains to try lining up the new track so it syncs up with the existing audio tracks. Unfortunately that rarely works to my satisfaction and I end up re-recording the other tracks so they sync with the new drum track. That wastes a lot of time and also some really good takes that I'd prefer to keep.

Using a MIDI drum track would let me make any changes I want anywhere along the recording process and still have perfectly sync'd tracks. Like you said, that's the magic of being able to change things after laying down tracks.

Dave-O - If you have any OTHER songs that need drums redone, try this: Set your drum machine to be the master, and your software ?? to be the slave (MIDI-wise) , set the software to RECORD, it should wait for MIDI clocks, then play the drum machine into the software. Now you have the MIDI info in your software EXACTLY as it came from the drum machine, and in sync. That should save you having to re-do the drum track if you're already happy with timing and performance, and only want to change sounds. Then, you can set your drum machine (I think most of them allow this) to external MIDI in, so it acts as just another sound module. Now you can play a drum track either to your drum machine (set to external MIDI in) or to another module/software, and won't have to re-do another drum track if you like everything but the actual sound.

Also, depending on your software, you can re-record a MIDI drum track this way and "nudge" events one way or another in the "piano roll editor" to change the feel. Better software allows you to select just one, or any combination of "notes", and change just those notes, either in time or note # or velocity, etc.

If you REALLY want to speed things up AND get a more human feel, get the best kit of MIDI drum pads you can afford and learn to play real drums (on un-real pads) - I use a Roland V-Custom kit, expanded with some aux pads, and I can lay down a drum track real-time in one or two passes. It's the next best thing to real drums, which usually require some heavy duty acoustic treatment to avoid your neighbors looking in the yellow pages under "Hit Men"... Steve

microchip said:
So, for entry MIDI use, would everyone suggest something like the Midiman 2x2?

That should work fine. You have 16 midi channels per cable so that would handle 2-4 synths pretty well.

Microchip, simply, midi makes it possible for your synths to play all by themselves. What kind of synths do you have? Or how many? Any other midi gear?

knightfly said:
Dave-O - If you have any OTHER songs that need drums redone, try this: Set your drum machine to be the master, and your software ?? to be the slave (MIDI-wise) , set the software to RECORD, it should wait for MIDI clocks, then play the drum machine into the software. Now you have the MIDI info in your software EXACTLY as it came from the drum machine, and in sync. That should save you having to re-do the drum track if you're already happy with timing and performance, and only want to change sounds. Then, you can set your drum machine (I think most of them allow this) to external MIDI in, so it acts as just another sound module. Now you can play a drum track either to your drum machine (set to external MIDI in) or to another module/software, and won't have to re-do another drum track if you like everything but the actual sound.

Also, depending on your software, you can re-record a MIDI drum track this way and "nudge" events one way or another in the "piano roll editor" to change the feel. Better software allows you to select just one, or any combination of "notes", and change just those notes, either in time or note # or velocity, etc.

If you REALLY want to speed things up AND get a more human feel, get the best kit of MIDI drum pads you can afford and learn to play real drums (on un-real pads) - I use a Roland V-Custom kit, expanded with some aux pads, and I can lay down a drum track real-time in one or two passes. It's the next best thing to real drums, which usually require some heavy duty acoustic treatment to avoid your neighbors looking in the yellow pages under "Hit Men"... Steve

Knightfly, thanks for the ideas. I'll have to try them out. I'm still pretty early in the learning curve so I'm not even sure my drum machine (Boss DR-770) can even act as a MIDI master, but I'll check on that. The software I'm using right now is n-Track, which does MIDI but not real well from what I've heard. I've been looking for another package that will help me do what I want to do with MIDI and my drum machine.

Drums were the first instrument I learned (many, MANY years ago!) and I'd love to have drums I could really play. Unfortunately my situation (family, neighbors, budget, etc.) aren't going to let that happen anytime soon. We have a 5 year old son who loves to bang on his toy drums so I'm hoping he'll want to play so I can get back into it. I messed around with the V-drums in the store a few times and the idea did cross my mind, but that's a lot of money for me to shell out on a hobby I have so little time for these days.

Subtractor...

Just have 2 synths going into my soundcard and no other MIDI components at the moment.

I am looking forward to using MIDI to print off scores as well.

Micro

Back