Why Won't This System Work...AMD

kennedy connor

A Friend unfortunately bought this system against my better judgement (P3440BX)....It will NOT record a usable audio....just muffled pitch-shifted noise....Any suggestions (within reason) about what can be done.

I/S K7 VAT 200 Mhz FSB motherboard
AMD T-Bird 800 Mhz Chip
128MB sdram-168pin
30 Gig UDMA IDE 7200rpm Hard Drive
Via PCI audio

We have tried every suggestion from cakewalk tech support but the problem continues and is evident with windows recorder too.

You should be able to record on that computer...Im not familiar with the AMD T-Bird chip,but I know AMD is not known for its digital audio capabilities....however, you shouldnt get into problems until you get into higher track counts and using realtime effects...the soundcard may be bad, try plugging in another one....also check the level you are recording at......and record to the line in, not the mic in....by the way, what source (mic, instrument)are you trying to record?

VIA PCI audio, that's built on to the motherboard. Disable it in BIOS and install a Creative Labs card - Ensonic or SB128 etc. $25 or so.

But, yeah.. as Gidge asked, what is the source? It should record, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the quality. These integrated cards are for windows beeps and 'you've got mail'.

Also, AMD based DAW's are quite popular. They are more than capable of handling multitrack recording. The only thing is you have to be very careful as to what audio hardware you decide to use. If you spring for something in the upper pro-sumer sound card range, research any compatablity issues with the sound card manufacturer. BTW who is the manufacturer of this motherboard?

Ken, go to www.rme-audio.com and follow their PC optimizing guide. The K7V/Thunderbird are generally free of the earlier Athlon problems. What Sound card are you using? If you are serious about recording, get a second audio only harddrive for recording. Also, check out the RME cards while you're there.
Chuck

Last edited:
Be careful with those PC optimazation guides as you can really screw up a system if you dont know what you are doing (but in all fairness I havent looked at the one One Artist is referrin to).....I didnt realize that was onboard sound, I saw Pci and figured it was a card (thats what I get for assuming)...still, even with it, watching input levels, quite a few half decent tracks can be had...tell your friend to check out Homerecording.com before he buys another computer.....i'm assuming playback of other sound sources are o.k.????.....

thanks for all your replies! He has downloaded new drivers for the soundcard and seems to have been successful in recording something with the win media recorder.
thanks again.

Wow,

that one slipped right past me...usually the first thing to check is new drivers, but i figured that new of a board would have included decent drivers....oh well, glad to see you are up and running....

Back