Why the Fostex MR8-HD is better than the original MR8

You will have to excuse me for not knowing all the new terms. I am an old tape man just new to digital. Seems to me tape was so much easier.
I have reformated the HD many times now and it still makes a jumbled mess of the recordings at the final step. I have been following the instruction book.
I make my recordings mainly on track 1 and 2. I then mix these down to track 7/8 and following what the book says try to change these to a wav file for burning. I don't even know what a Wav file is. but I end up with an error message saying comprimised file and the song is all out of sync and mixed up.
I don't know how they can advertise this thing as being simple to use. I had to read and reread the manual for a month before I could get a sound out of it.
I have other folks tell me to download the newest version of software to the recorder but I have no clue on how to do that, and there aren't very many IT men way out here in the sticks
Also if I get the Wavmanager on my PC can I download the individual files and then mix them or do they have to be mixed first?
Last question, if all this fails is there a way to turn my tape recordings into CDs???

:cool:

I have other folks tell me to download the newest version of software to the recorder but I have no clue on how to do that, and there aren't very many IT men way out here in the sticks
Also if I get the Wavmanager on my PC can I download the individual files and then mix them or do they have to be mixed first?
Last question, if all this fails is there a way to turn my tape recordings into CDs???

New software is available as a download from FostexInternational or from Fostexsupport (where you will get more help) The download comes with a .pfd file of instructions. It is a matter of downloading a .MOT file from your PC to your MR and then, by following the instructions, upgrading to your new operating system.
Wavmanager is designed to transfer the MR Tracks directly into your PC so you can load them into an audio editor. I use Audacity. The PC editor will be used to combine the tracks into a stereo .wav file for burning using the burner on your PC or by USB to a separate CD burner plugged into your PC. You may find this a better route.

Go to http://fostexsupport.com/index.php and look at "MR8 Software update"

You will have to excuse me for not knowing all the new terms. I am an old tape man just new to digital. Seems to me tape was so much easier.
I have reformated the HD many times now and it still makes a jumbled mess of the recordings at the final step. I have been following the instruction book.
I make my recordings mainly on track 1 and 2. I then mix these down to track 7/8 and following what the book says try to change these to a wav file for burning. I don't even know what a Wav file is. but I end up with an error message saying comprimised file and the song is all out of sync and mixed up.
I don't know how they can advertise this thing as being simple to use. I had to read and reread the manual for a month before I could get a sound out of it.

I don't know but I guess I'm missing something here about 'changing to .wav files' the Foxtex recorders only record in .wav files. I also don't understand how it's making a jumble of all your files. Where did you buy the unit, online or from a local store? I'd check with the pro audo department at a good local music store, Guitar Center if there's one near you. They'll be able to help you hands on.

Personally I'd forget all about the 2mix thing, I never use it at all, it was confusing to me. When I first got my recorder I tried using it but when I opened the folder I always saw a gazillion files and some of them had nothing on them and I had to fish through them to find the ones that did have the information on them. With the WavManager it's a simple matter to move your recorded tracks individually to your pc to to save and work with. It works in reverse too, if you want to put the tracks back on the recorder to work with, remixing, add more tracks, or whatever.

I also recommend that you keep a 'track record'. I do it 2 ways, I keep a spiral notebook handy and write everything down, what's on track 1, track 2 and so on. What onboard effect I used, pan settings, gain settings, etc. I also make a Word document with all that same information and keep it in the folder with the tracks.

As for mixing, you can do that several ways. I do most of my mixing on the recorder itself, bouncing the mix to either 5/6 or 7/8, in your case, I'm now using an MR16HD so I have 2 (actually 4) extra channels to bounce to, 9-16. You can also use the WavManager to export all tracks to your pc and mix with any good recording program, I use several, an old version of Cakewalk Pro 7, Cakewalk Sonar 8 & Producer and then do your mixing there. I have a pc that is dedicated to my recording with an external hard drive, so once I have everything recorded I save the .wav files to a folder, one folder for each song, on the external hd. I then do my mix/bounce and put the mixed tracks into a sub-folder in that folder.

For editing I still like to use the Cakewalk Pro 7, very simple to edit off click tracks or long blank spaces in the beginning or whatever and do fades, and then save those tracks in the same sub-folder as the mixed tracks (5/6 - 7/8 in your case) from the recorder. This is where your mixed tracks come in if you are mixing on the recorder itself. Most pc recording programs also work with .wav files so you insert one track on track 1 and the other on track 2 to do your editing. You can also add eq's and effects in the pc program. It's all a matter of what works best for you. Then after you've got your mix the way you like it, convert your mix to mp3. Do a Google search and you should be able to find a free older version of Musicmatch Jukebox, there is a website called olderversion.com, or something like that where you can find such things and download them to your pc. I still find that the simplest conversion program and I've tried several others that were a lot more complicated to use. Musicmatch is basically a 1 click operation. You will probably have to adjust the bitrate, but that's a simple slide bar, and you want 128kbps for the best cd quality recordings at the smallest file size. If I'm wrong about any of this I'm sure someone will correct me, lol....

This forum is a very good place to find answers for most anything related to recording and such. I've gotten a lot of help from the people here with more know how than I have. I'm still in a learning process myself with a lot of things. So don't give up the ship. I'm a long way from being an expert at this myself but I learn something new everyday just from hands on experience along with advice I get from other users. What I'm telling you here is just from my personal experience and what I've found to work easiest for me. I've taken cd's of my mixes to friends who are more in the know than I and they've all told me I seemed to be doing things right.

I hope some of this helps you out and that I haven't confused you more than you already are. I've tried to explain it as simply as I could. If you want I would be happy to do what I can to help you off forum if you want to write direct to me at: aceteleman77@yahoo.com. I'll do what I can. Some of the things the experts on here talk about are beyond me technically too but I know their intentions are good.

The Teleman

Example of my mix

This is an example of a mix I did of an old 40's swing tune called Smoke, Smoke, Smoke (That Cigarette). This isn't quite finished yet as I still have to add live drums and perhaps some fiddle and piano.

Most of these tracks were originally recorded on my MR8HD but this mix was done on my MR16HD. Except for the drum machine and steel guitar I'm doing all the vocals, guitars and bass. I did push the on/off switch for the drum machine, lol, so I guess you can say I 'played' that too....

This is the 1st time I've tried to upload an mp3 to this forum so I hope it works... :D

[MP3][/MP3]

This is an example of a mix I did of an old 40's swing tune called Smoke, Smoke, Smoke (That Cigarette). This isn't quite finished yet as I still have to add live drums and perhaps some fiddle and piano.

Most of these tracks were originally recorded on my MR8HD but this mix was done on my MR16HD. Except for the drum machine and steel guitar I'm doing all the vocals, guitars and bass. I did push the on/off switch for the drum machine, lol, so I guess you can say I 'played' that too....

This is the 1st time I've tried to upload an mp3 to this forum so I hope it works... :D

Hmmmm, don't know where the file went, it uploaded guess I'm missing another trick here, HELP????

Teleman and others THANKS,
I got this unit as a present from my daughter, I think she got it offline from American Music Supply.She heard a few of my old tape recordings and thought I could make her some CD's with newer music. I have tried and tried to make this thing work but I guess I am to old school,. Years ago we would plug into the 4 track tape, put down the tracks, mix it on a master and you were done. This new stuff really gets to me, especialy since I can't get it to work. I hate to disapoint her so I guess I will just keep plugging along. Thanks again for everyone being so kind to a newbie!!!

Teleman and others THANKS,
I got this unit as a present from my daughter, I think she got it offline from American Music Supply.She heard a few of my old tape recordings and thought I could make her some CD's with newer music. I have tried and tried to make this thing work but I guess I am to old school,. Years ago we would plug into the 4 track tape, put down the tracks, mix it on a master and you were done. This new stuff really gets to me, especialy since I can't get it to work. I hate to disapoint her so I guess I will just keep plugging along. Thanks again for everyone being so kind to a newbie!!!

Keep at it. It is not that hard when you get to grips with the Fostex logic. I have the MR16 HD/CD and I have burnt CDs directly on the machine itself.

I had a massive learning curve until I realised that the MR is a very simple machine made complicated by the Menu system and the process of producing the recording.
Look at the MR as an 8 track tape recorder. (1)Record on to 1 & 2 then (2) Bounce to 7 & 8 then (3) 7 & 8 to a Stereo Wav File. If this does not work, there may be a fault. - Return Machine. The recordings are made in a format called Wav. Each track is a mono .wav file. For a recording to be burnt on to a CD it needs to be converted into this Stereo .wav format (i.e the final step shown above)

At its simplest level, you can use the MR8 to record up to 4 mono tracks (Inputs A-D) Mix the 4 into 2 (Bounce - This is done with the Pan controls setting each track to either Left or Right) and putting the Mix on to 5/6 or 7/8. If you put your mix to 5/6, you can then record over tracks 1-4 and create an 8 track recording. Eventually you need to Bounce 1-4 and 5/6 (if you use them) on to 7/8 and from there onto the Stereo Wav file. This constitutes a Song in the MR lingo. The Song then can be burnt on to a CD as a Track. (MR Song = CD Track)

I am concerned that you have had so many errors. This does sound like a machine or software fault. You have re-formatted the disk OK so that should reduce any problem with disk space. I would update the software. Get a copy of the software from FostexInternational, it should come with a .pfd file of Instructions. (Print these off) Follow the Instructions step by step. If you make a mess first time - have another go.The process is to download a file with a .MOT on to the MR using USB. Once this .MOT file is on the MRs drive, you then update the system through the Menu. The .MOT file goes into MR memory so can be eventually deleted from the disk in a re-format.

Keep the faith -you have a good machine there.

I have four MR-8s, three red (with final firmware version installed) and one black. I also snagged some 2GB cards pretty cheap. My only real complaint is that you can't slave one or more MR-8s to another MR-8 because they only have MIDI OUT. They're useful to have at different stations around the studio, i.e, for creating thick layered synth parts, and they're a hell of a lot more portable for capturing "found sounds" than my Casio FZ-1 sampler. I'm not really interested in having the hard drive version since I dump everything onto the PC for mixdown in Ableton anyway.

Back