Why people actually pay for recording software..

FrizzleFry said:
Well I did say that I didn't actually *do* it..

But if I did.. perhaps I would download a top notch virus stopper.. one that was supposed to pay for (oh the irony).. to stop any so called virus. Meanwile the rest of you buffoons go on lining bil gates pockets with you lunch money. What a world.

Since you have no issues with the idea of not paying someone for something they obviously put a lot of time, money and effort into, please post you home address so we can steal all your recording equimpent and any songs you were working on. We will then sell your work to a big name recording label and make money on royalties for the rest of our lives and not give you a single cent.

Hypocrite

Hey buddy, go read my first response to your post, and low look at the attitude people have towards.

Too bad i was 100 percent right. Try not being moron sometime and see how that works out for you.

Why do you pay?

What do you do for a living FrizzleFry? What industry do you work in?

How would you like it if you say painted a house for someone and they didn't pay you? It just cost about $1000 to get some painting done at my house. If we didn't pay the painters, they wouldn't be happy with us!! ... infact they might even take some legal action so that we would pay them for the work.

The same thing happens with Software Piracy.. and it was also happening with the likes of Napster. Now I will fully admit that I used Napster. At the time I was using Napster I was buying a couple of CD's a week. I was under the opinion that if I liked a song I donwloaded of Napster I would go out and buy the album it was off.. just to give the Artist royalties!!

If you want to download programs and use them... go for it. You might get away with it, or you might get caught and have to pay a large legal fee due to software piracy.

Just a small advantage of buying software as opposed to downloading it is the manual!! I bought Sonar about a month back ($1000 AUD). The 600 page manual makes it easier to use ;)

I read a couple of your other posts. It sounds as though all you are trying to do is to record music and pay nothing to do it.. I'll put it this way. You will need to spend some money to get there, just be sure that it is what you want to do, and if you do it to do it the right way... if there is software that you have to save a couple of months for and it does what you want it to do... save for a couple of months. It will be worth it.

Just a few thoughts,

Porter

ambi said:
Hey buddy, go read my first response to your post, and low look at the attitude people have towards.

Too bad i was 100 percent right. Try not being moron sometime and see how that works out for you.

Well done nostradamus..but if you read MY previous post you would have notised that I don't exacly give a toss about not being liked by the members of this board.

Well, I'm a student.. so I cant afford anything. I disagree with the comparrison of software piracy and house painting for two reasons. First.. painting a house is done in labour. They might get 14.50 per hour for their work, which is reasonable. Software is a product, and it probably costs and 3 dollers a package in mass production, and they often sell it at around 400. Thhats too much of a mark up and they can piss off if they expect me to do them any favours. Especially consider the following fact. when you steal "software" of the internet is's not at all like stealing a product like a CD or a Telivision.. because a download doesn't actuall exist. It's just a piece of information. If I have it now, that does not mean that somebody else does not have it, or that sombody has to make another one, or even that somebody had to make it in the first place. There is not one iota of displacement in the world after you download a crack on kazza apart from the person who downloaded it has a better computer. Since I can never afford to buy software like cool edit pro, weather I download it free or not has no effect on the maker at all. If i didn't download it, they would still not get any money out of me... so who really cares? In fact, since I am using their product, it's likley that I am going to engage other people into discussions about the product, and use it with friends, I am going to be activly networking for the company, possibly reccomending it to others, and If I like it im likly to buy the product one day when I do have some money. So, even from the software makers perspective, it's far better that I have the so called "illegal" version of their product then none at all. And finally, anybody that thinks ejhics are a relevant part of the computer industry, especially software, is seriously delusional.

Porter said:
Why do you pay?

What do you do for a living FrizzleFry? What industry do you work in?

How would you like it if you say painted a house for someone and they didn't pay you? It just cost about $1000 to get some painting done at my house. If we didn't pay the painters, they wouldn't be happy with us!! ... infact they might even take some legal action so that we would pay them for the work.

The same thing happens with Software Piracy.. and it was also happening with the likes of Napster. Now I will fully admit that I used Napster. At the time I was using Napster I was buying a couple of CD's a week. I was under the opinion that if I liked a song I donwloaded of Napster I would go out and buy the album it was off.. just to give the Artist royalties!!

If you want to download programs and use them... go for it. You might get away with it, or you might get caught and have to pay a large legal fee due to software piracy.

Just a small advantage of buying software as opposed to downloading it is the manual!! I bought Sonar about a month back ($1000 AUD). The 600 page manual makes it easier to use ;)

I read a couple of your other posts. It sounds as though all you are trying to do is to record music and pay nothing to do it.. I'll put it this way. You will need to spend some money to get there, just be sure that it is what you want to do, and if you do it to do it the right way... if there is software that you have to save a couple of months for and it does what you want it to do... save for a couple of months. It will be worth it.

Just a few thoughts,

Porter

FrizzleFry said:
I disagree with the comparrison of software piracy and house painting for two reasons. First.. painting a house is done in labour. They might get 14.50 per hour for their work, which is reasonable. Software is a product, and it probably costs and 3 dollers a package in mass production, and they often sell it at around 400. Thhats too much of a mark up and they can piss off if they expect me to do them any favours. Especially consider the following fact. when you steal "software" of the internet is's not at all like stealing a product like a CD or a Telivision.. because a download doesn't actuall exist. It's just a piece of information. If I have it now, that does not mean that somebody else does not have it, or that sombody has to make another one, or even that somebody had to make it in the first place. There is not one iota of displacement in the world after you download a crack on kazza apart from the person who downloaded it has a better computer.
So software isn't made? It doesn't take hours to make it, write the code, fix the bugs, and then continue supporting it after it's released?

FrizzleFry said:
Well, I'm a student.. so I cant afford anything.
And that makes stealing ok???????????

You ARE one fucked-up moron - the youth excuse only goes so far, and certainly is no excuse for poor-values........ :rolleyes:

You're a student, huh? Why are you a student? So, ultimately, you can obtain the knowledge to have a higher earning power, right? Why do you think companies or individuals pay consultants $100/hr or more? It's for their knowledge thought process! Why do doctors get paid so much? Because they devoted more than 10 years of their lives to school, residency, and many sleepless nights...uhm...and they have the potential to save lives!

Actually, just drop out of school! I don't want to pay for your knowledge! Become a house painter or something!

FrizzleFry said:
Well, I'm a student.. so I cant afford anything.

Have you heard of Pro Tools Free???? It's designed for people to download the product and use it in the hope that when they can afford it they will be able to buy the digidesign hardware and use the full application with little to no learning curve

FrizzleFry said:
I disagree with the comparrison of software piracy and house painting for two reasons. First.. painting a house is done in labour. They might get 14.50 per hour for their work, which is reasonable. Software is a product, and it probably costs and 3 dollers a package in mass production, and they often sell it at around 400. Thhats too much of a mark up and they can piss off if they expect me to do them any favours. Especially consider the following fact. when you steal "software" of the internet is's not at all like stealing a product like a CD or a Telivision.. because a download doesn't actuall exist. It's just a piece of information. If I have it now, that does not mean that somebody else does not have it, or that sombody has to make another one, or even that somebody had to make it in the first place. There is not one iota of displacement in the world after you download a crack on kazza apart from the person who downloaded it has a better computer.

The painted house is the 'product'. Instead of painting the walls, there are software developers being paid great wages (in Australia maybe $60-100k AUD) to sit down, write, develop then there are the different plug in's for the software. I use SONAR. in Sonar, you have the Virtual Sound Canvas developed by Edirol, so when you buy the package you are indirectly paying Edirol for the user of their software. In the house painting example, this would be the friend that gave you a hand that you would give part of your final pay packet for painting the house to.

$3 for the packaging, CD, manual... well for some that might be the case... for others it might be up to $40, however there is all the time and development which you aren't considering!!

That's also not mentioning coming back and providing support to customers and patches... all have to be written/looked into. Someone has to be paid to do that... wether they are paid at the start, ie in the price of the software, or wether they are paid for support....

As for information/software not existing... I fully disagree with you FuzzyFry.. Chris, you are right on!!

FrizzleFry said:
Since I can never afford to buy software like cool edit pro, weather I download it free or not has no effect on the maker at all. If i didn't download it, they would still not get any money out of me... so who really cares?
So, even from the software makers perspective, it's far better that I have the so called "illegal" version of their product then none at all. And finally, anybody that thinks ejhics are a relevant part of the computer industry, especially software, is seriously delusional.

Ever heard of a licence agreement? I'm sure the company would love to know about you so they can fine you $500k US for piracy!!!! Ethics are relevant in the computer industry & computer software, it's just the delusional idiots like you who think it's OK not to abide by them.

Porter

Ah- so now you are back-pedalling on your statement that I, as a user of recording software that decided by my own free will to pay for it am a MORON?

I am supposed to believe that because you are too poor to be able to afford the stuff that I am still a moron because I can?

It simply doesn't add up!

Someone has to pay for the stuff or nobody would bother writing it. Now get back to your homework.... :)

You've got a LOT to learn!

FrizzleFry,

What exacty IS your problem? You want some expensive software but can't afford it?

Fine, buy something cheaper until you can afford what you want. Download demo versions, look for freeware.

But for goodness sake Ocker, don't denigrate me because I paid for my software. I wanted Sonar, but I couldn't afford it so I bought HS2002 instead.

And if you really do want help from the good people round here, mate - I think you just shot yourself in the foot.

This topic has been beaten to death, resurrected, beaten to a pulp, thrown in the blender, pureed. And it still won't go away...

Piracy won't win you any friends.

--
BluesMeister

Chris Fallen said:
So software isn't made? It doesn't take hours to make it, write the code, fix the bugs, and then continue supporting it after it's released?

Of course it has to be made. I crack, however doesn't.

Blue Bear Sound said:
And that makes stealing ok???????????

You ARE one fucked-up moron - the youth excuse only goes so far, and certainly is no excuse for poor-values........ :rolleyes:

If you cast intelectual judgements on people because their values differ from you, then you sirt are the moron.

Oh well arnt you a good little capitalist. If your values are based on credentials and money, it is unlikely you will ever have any use for the knowledge im developing anyway.

and a little subtle classism there i see? You think because you know how to make software you're somehow better that a housepainter? Haha!

whattaguy said:
You're a student, huh? Why are you a student? So, ultimately, you can obtain the knowledge to have a higher earning power, right? Why do you think companies or individuals pay consultants $100/hr or more? It's for their knowledge thought process! Why do doctors get paid so much? Because they devoted more than 10 years of their lives to school, residency, and many sleepless nights...uhm...and they have the potential to save lives!

Actually, just drop out of school! I don't want to pay for your knowledge! Become a house painter or something!

Last edited:
Porter said:
Have you heard of Pro Tools Free???? It's designed for people to download the product and use it in the hope that when they can afford it they will be able to buy the digidesign hardware and use the full application with little to no learning curve

The painted house is the 'product'. Instead of painting the walls, there are software developers being paid great wages (in Australia maybe $60-100k AUD) to sit down, write, develop then there are the different plug in's for the software. I use SONAR. in Sonar, you have the Virtual Sound Canvas developed by Edirol, so when you buy the package you are indirectly paying Edirol for the user of their software. In the house painting example, this would be the friend that gave you a hand that you would give part of your final pay packet for painting the house to.

$3 for the packaging, CD, manual... well for some that might be the case... for others it might be up to $40, however there is all the time and development which you aren't considering!!

That's also not mentioning coming back and providing support to customers and patches... all have to be written/looked into. Someone has to be paid to do that... wether they are paid at the start, ie in the price of the software, or wether they are paid for support....

As for information/software not existing... I fully disagree with you FuzzyFry.. Chris, you are right on!!

Porter

Perhaps i don't like pro tools free.. Perhaps I like something else, that doesn't offer a demo version.

No the painted house is a servise.. if you decide to sell your house then it will become a product. Do I have to explain your own metaphor to you?

Why on earth would you make the point about the company offerening product services? Clearly *I* am not going to be elligable for that. Nor would I ever ask for it. And even if we are to assume that starving children in africa are somehow depending on the profits of computer software, that doesn't negate the fact that weather I download a crack or not has no bearing on software products. The notion that downloading cracks is somehow equivalent to the theft of goods and servises is ridiculous. If you want to make an apt comparrison, it has to be something to reading a book that you didn't pay for, listening to a cd you didn't buy, or sitting in a lecture of a course that you are not enrolled in ect. And weather or not these things are "ethical" are is contentious, yes, but I doubt you would all be so morally charged about these issues and you are about unlicenced software.

Porter said:

Ever heard of a licence agreement? I'm sure the company would love to know about you so they can fine you $500k US for piracy!!!! Ethics are relevant in the computer industry & computer software, it's just the delusional idiots like you who think it's OK not to abide by them.

Porter

Licence agreement? Clearly i'm not talking legaly here, im talking realisticly. These companys are money driven. And the fatc is that company XYZ are far more likely to get money off me if I am using an inlicenced product of theirs than nothing at all. Spin it anyway you want that's the truth.

FrizzleFry,

Sit down, calm down, have a cup of tea.

You are descending into the murky depths of personal insults. You'll agree, that's not a good strategy.

If you are unable to express your disagreement without resorting to profanity or calling into question another's intelligence, then you've already lost the argument.

If you disagree with someone else's point of view, why should that make the other person a moron? It has no basis in logic.

You are typing in the heat of the moment and some of your sentences are lacking structure.

Settle down. Think about what you are saying. Clearly you'll never win this particular argument.

--
BluesMeister

BluesMeister said:
FrizzleFry,

Sit down, calm down, have a cup of tea.

You are descending into the murky depths of personal insults. You'll agree, that's not a good strategy.

If you are unable to express your disagreement without resorting to profanity or calling into question another's intelligence, then you've already lost the argument.

If you disagree with someone else's point of view, why should that make the other person a moron? It has no basis in logic.

You are typing in the heat of the moment and some of your sentences are lacking structure.

Settle down. Think about what you are saying. Clearly you'll never win this particular argument.

--
BluesMeister

I agree, bu um, I think I am the only person who hasn't used the word "moron" in this thread! Actually, I just made the same point as you a few posts up... are you on the crack dude?

*edit*

OK my first post. I beliueve that was the only time.

FrizzleFry said:
No the painted house is a servise.. if you decide to sell your house then it will become a product. Do I have to explain your own metaphor to you?

Yes, however your product is the ability to provide the service of painting ;)

FrizzleFry said:
The notion that downloading cracks is somehow equivalent to the theft of goods and servises is ridiculous. If you want to make an apt comparrison, it has to be something to reading a book that you didn't pay for, listening to a cd you didn't buy, or sitting in a lecture of a course that you are not enrolled in ect. And weather or not these things are "ethical" are is contentious, yes, but I doubt you would all be so morally charged about these issues and you are about unlicenced software.

The meaning of Theft from Dictionary.com: The act or an instance of stealing; larceny

If you download a crack, you are stealing a licence... ;)

FrizzleFry said:
Licence agreement? Clearly i'm not talking legaly here, im talking realisticly. These companys are money driven. And the fatc is that company XYZ are far more likely to get money off me if I am using an inlicenced product of theirs than nothing at all. Spin it anyway you want that's the truth.

I'm not doubting that a company is money driven, however if a company doesn't make any money, it can't use it to develop the product or to support it.

BTW... what are you studying?

Porter

FrizzleFry said:
are you on the crack dude?
No, I paid for my software. I bought it in the UK last November.

Trust me, humility, civility and reason will overcome belligerence any day.

As you've no doubt discovered, piracy is frowned upon in this BB. There are many people hereabouts who have great knowledge and are only to happy to impart that knowledge to others. I've certainly benefitted from being here, and I hope there are others who have benefitted from my posts too.

Try not to ruffle anyone's feathers and you'll be fine.

--
BluesMeister

Porter said:

The meaning of Theft from Dictionary.com: The act or an instance of stealing; larceny

If you download a crack, you are stealing a licence... ;)

Porter

That's not in dispute. Either is the definition of theft.

I'm studying to be an English teacher. All I have to do is learn to spell. :D

" however if a company doesn't make any money, it can't use it to develop the product or to support it"

O.K, fair enough, but the point is that my instance of downloading their product has no bearing on weather that company makes money.

Back