why NOT use 2 mics for snare?

Its all about WHAT mic you use under the snare and where you place it. Right under the strainer will sometimes give you too much snare overlap if they arent tight. Some drummers like them loose.......(yeah its kinda leading) I use a hyper-cardioid patterned mic under simply because of the lack of sensitivity to the hats and the kik....although they're usually all close enough that theres no problem with time...

And the phase relationship with the top snare mic and the bottom can really make or break the snare sound. I say why not ...Its the second most prominent sound on most rock tracks.

I use a e609, it's funny because that's about the only thing I use it for. :lol:

And Greg, yeah it's good for stuff like a second kick or snare mic or room mic where monitoring it isn't as pertinent during tracking.

I have done a lot of experimenting lately and I'm trying to understand why anyone would reject the idea of 2 mics on a snare.

I'm just wondering if I am doing something wrong? Because to me the difference in depth, sustain and liveliness of the snare with 2 mics as opposed to one is unquestionable.

PS: Yes I know, "use the search button". I have, and most of the time people say they don't like it, they don't leave a valid explanation.

Are you talking about using two mics with one on the batter side and one on the snare side? If so, this is a very common practice for getting a fuller and richer "snare" sound Some prefer a more "crack" sound and to use two mics is just superfluous. You will need to reverse the polarity on the mic on the snare side or you will get some phase issues (if you don't have that option on your board, you can get an in-line plug that does it).

I am also a minimalist and haven't had the need to use two mics most of the time, although I did once when I was recording a very deep snare for a heavy blues recording and it added a lot more dimension. If you like it, use it. Lots of engineers do and like it.

Back