why NOT use 2 mics for snare?

drummer11

I have done a lot of experimenting lately and I'm trying to understand why anyone would reject the idea of 2 mics on a snare.

I'm just wondering if I am doing something wrong? Because to me the difference in depth, sustain and liveliness of the snare with 2 mics as opposed to one is unquestionable.

PS: Yes I know, "use the search button". I have, and most of the time people say they don't like it, they don't leave a valid explanation.

Generally, I prefer to use the minimum number of mics I can to get a nice overall sound, which in my case is 7. I don't usually use room mics, a ride mic, extra snare or kick mics. The simpler the better. I think you'd go for a bottom snare mic (when you say 2 I'm assuming you mean a bottom mic) if you feel the snare isn't 'crisp' enough. That might be happening if you don't let your OHs contribute enough. The spot snare mic on it's own doesn't sound too good, but a 50-50 mix with the OHs gives it power and makes it sound 'crisp'.
That said, a lot of people do use 2 mics. But experiment with positioning and mixing before discarding the idea of 1 snare mic altogether.

It all depends on your idea of a good snare sound. Not all snares sound good with two mics, not all music requires the sound of two mics.

You can also get a decent sound by using one mic and pointing it at the shell instead of the top head. You can move it around to change the mix between the top and the bottom.

IMHO, (and I am not a drummer or drum-micing/recording expert,) if you have the mics, the available tracks, and the time to set two mics on a snare, GO AHEAD. Once a sound- any sound- fades into inaudibility, it's gone for good. Capturing more of what happens can't hurt, and could be very useful later if the sound from what you normally would have set does not quite do it. Within reason, of course. The time setting another couple of mics will pale in comparison to having to re-track the drums...

I'm not opposed to two mics on a snare, I can usually get a great sound with one. In my experience, the fewer mics near the hats, the better. Again, it also depends on the style of music, the snare itself and the drummer. Now I almost always end up with two mics on the kick (one inside and the other on the reso head) but ghat's just how I roll.

I think of that second snare mic as a luxury and not a necessity. I'd never mic the bottom of a snare at the expense of something else, but if you have the available inputs/tracks and everything else is mic'd sufficiently, then sure, stick a mic under the snare. You can always not use that track if you don't want to.

For me, I have 8 inputs. The top of the snare, the kick, the four toms, and the two overheads all take precedence over the bottom of the snare. That's my 8 tracks used up. If I do a song that doesn't use every tom, then I sometimes mic the bottom of the snare.

I agree with the idea that if you have the inputs, nice, cables, and time available, then yeah, Mic it! and that's not just in reference to snares. Take priority over what's essential, such as kick, snare top, overheads and toms. Spend the time getting those sounding as good as possible before you even bother with any extras. Quality over quantity.

Greetings, usully the problem is with the snare tuning, there are a lot of recording which I do not like it because the snare have not been properly tune up. The same thing when playing on stage. I have played with other drummers set, and I ask if they would like me to tune the snare before playing, after that, they always thanks me por the way the snare sound. If the snare is not properly tune up, two mics, are not going to take care of the problem. Gerry Zaragemca

I think of that second snare mic as a luxury and not a necessity. I'd never mic the bottom of a snare at the expense of something else, but if you have the available inputs/tracks and everything else is mic'd sufficiently, then sure, stick a mic under the snare. You can always not use that track if you don't want to.

For me, I have 8 inputs. The top of the snare, the kick, the four toms, and the two overheads all take precedence over the bottom of the snare. That's my 8 tracks used up. If I do a song that doesn't use every tom, then I sometimes mic the bottom of the snare.

I read somewhere else that you had a firepod. You can get another 2 mic pres into this using the s/pdif and another really cheap interface if your interested. The only downside (ONLY) is that you can't monitor those inputs very easily on that interface.

I read somewhere else that you had a firepod. You can get another 2 mic pres into this using the s/pdif and another really cheap interface if your interested. The only downside (ONLY) is that you can't monitor those inputs very easily on that interface.

I've never needed more than 8, but how would I do this? I have a Tascam US122 that just sits here collecting dust.......

You would need something with a digital out. The 122 does not have a s/pdif out. I recently bought an ART DPSII just for the purpose of adding two more tracks to my interface.

You would need something with a digital out. The 122 does not have a s/pdif out. I recently bought an ART DPSII just for the purpose of adding two more tracks to my interface.

I'd rather just buy another Firepod and stick em together.

I did it with a used toneport UX2. I got one for $75.

Chaining 2 firepods works as well. Grabbing a dirt cheap interface with a digital out is just really cheap is all.

Thanks. I might give it a try. I just haven't ever needed more than the 8. I guess I'll mic the bottom of the snare and maybe the kick beater? I don't know.

I have access to a UX2 for free. How do I connect it all up?

Oh no shit? It's really simple man, all you have to do is grab a s/pdif cable (some have reported having no problem using a RCA cable but I never tried it myself I just grabbed one from radio shack).

Connect that from the digital out on the back of the toneport UX2 and to the s/pdif input on the back of the firepod.

Now on PC it's probably under the firepod preferences or something like that but you should see some sort of clock source (I'm on a mac so it was different for me) that is default set to "internal" you set that to S/pdif and the blue led on the firepod will blink a couple times then go solid indicating that the firepod is synced with the toneport.

Then it's just a matter of activating those extra 2 inputs in your DAW.

Let me know if I can be more clear, I used to have that exact same setup (don't own the firepod anymore but had it for a couple years).

Like I said the ONLY downside to s/pdif on a firepod is there is no way to monitor those channels with zero latency like you can the onboard 8 (since the onboard 8 get routed to the mix knob and the s/pdif channels are digital so they don't). But I always just checked them using the headphone out on the toneport, got the level and placement then monitored the important channels on the firepod (so I would tend to use the toneport as a way to get a second mic on the kick and snare for example).

I think you have to have podfarm/gearbox open and running in order to monitor shit that the tone port is receiving. I always just bypassed any effects and preamp modelers.

Oh no shit? It's really simple man, all you have to do is grab a s/pdif cable (some have reported having no problem using a RCA cable but I never tried it myself I just grabbed one from radio shack).

Connect that from the digital out on the back of the toneport UX2 and to the s/pdif input on the back of the firepod.

Now on PC it's probably under the firepod preferences or something like that but you should see some sort of clock source (I'm on a mac so it was different for me) that is default set to "internal" you set that to S/pdif and the blue led on the firepod will blink a couple times then go solid indicating that the firepod is synced with the toneport.

Then it's just a matter of activating those extra 2 inputs in your DAW.

Let me know if I can be more clear, I used to have that exact same setup (don't own the firepod anymore but had it for a couple years).

Like I said the ONLY downside to s/pdif on a firepod is there is no way to monitor those channels with zero latency like you can the onboard 8 (since the onboard 8 get routed to the mix knob and the s/pdif channels are digital so they don't). But I always just checked them using the headphone out on the toneport, got the level and placement then monitored the important channels on the firepod (so I would tend to use the toneport as a way to get a second mic on the kick and snare for example).

I think you have to have podfarm/gearbox open and running in order to monitor shit that the tone port is receiving. I always just bypassed any effects and preamp modelers.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm not worried about monitoring. I'd only maybe use this setup for drums, and I can't hear them in the cans anyway.

Back