Why Not the P4?

redCashion

I have read people's aversions for using the p4 in a DAW at this point. But there is an interesting pricing anomaly between the pIII and pIVs right now. According to Pricewatch, current price of a pIII 866: $120ish. Current price of a pIV 1.5gig: $120ish. Given such a wide descrepency for the same price, I would assume that for the buck the pIV would be the better performer? So why not use it?

Does anyone out there use a pIV at present, and have there been any problems with it? Thanks :)

AMD

Greetings,

Isn't the AMD XP about the same price as the P4? And the DDR sdram cheaper then the RDram to boot? and it benchmarks as good as or better.....
SirRiff

I would love to buy AMD over Pentium, unfortunately my experience with a AMD computer and VIA motherboard has been so bad that right now I crave stability over all else. So I have already bought a TUSL2-C motherboard, and my only remaining quandry is which chip to get....

so don't buy a motherboard with a VIA chipset... contrary to popular belief, there are more chipsets and better chipsets than VIA for AMD Thunderbird/Durons

Emeric, I think I have decided against the pIII vs the Celeron, but the thing is, I could go from a 1.1 celeron to a 1.5 pIV and only spend like $20 more bucks! :o

I am just wondering why everyone is *so* down on that chip, I mean it should out perform the Celeron shouldn't it? It just looks like a value chip to me at this point.

Emeric, I think I have decided against the pIII vs the Celeron, but the thing is, I could go from a 1.1 celeron to a 1.5 pIV and only spend like $20 more bucks! :o

I am just wondering why everyone is *so* down on that chip, I mean it should out perform the Celeron shouldn't it? It just looks like a value chip to me at this point.

Btw, this isn't a AMD vs. Intel thread, believe me I have read every one of those that exist. I know all the pros and cons on both sides, and I like AMD better but I chose Intel. Now I am just trying to figure out what chip is best for me..

The reason everyone's so down on the P4 is that the performance is bad. Look on the hardware sites, like www.tomshardware.com, or PC magazine sites, like www.pcmag.com, and you will see that the P4 consistently performs the same or worse than similarly priced P3s or AMD Athlons. I think the only case where the P4 chip is faster is using RDRAM, and even then, I don't think the performance increase matches the premium you pay for RDRAM.

I think it also depends on what software you're going to be using. If it takes advantage of the new commands in the P4 chip (such as logic v5) then i think the P4 could be a wise choice.

Uhm, because the PIII and P4 are built differently:) Wouldn't it be nice if the board supported AMD and Intel as well...

I just bought a new celeron ....putting it in my asus board. Ill tell you how it works out!

xo

ola said:
Uhm, because the PIII and P4 are built differently:) Wouldn't it be nice if the board supported AMD and Intel as well...

Uhm, where is the "flicking the bird at ola" icon on this thing? :)

"Flicking the Bird":

a. picking up a bird by the scruff of the neck and flicking its belly until it says sorry for making fun of my lack of motherboard knowledge.

b. a dumb guy writing flick instead of flip when trying to be funny.

:D

Back