Why Not Start Your own record company?

If the resources were available who would start their own record label?

• Heck yeah I would

Votes: 256 79.8%
  • No its too much work

Votes: 39 12.1%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 26 8.1%

• Total voters
Tha Biggest Phonmonemon To Come Out If Chicago

I must say (Young)Blaze has skills. Someone told me about his soundclick (which is www.soundclick.com/bands/8/blzemusic.htm) and when i went to it i thought it was hott. It was like a breath of freash air. I like it cause it was different than the stuff i hear on the radio. Also i found out that (YoungBlaze has a website (www.youngblaze.com) and i like how the designer did it. On thing i do know is when some in the industry find this kid their sales going to shyrocket. Dont believe me see for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu :lol :lol

The whole point of record labels existing is because they can do things that most bands/artists cannot do by themselves, mainly fund an album's production. They can afford to spend $50,000 on the recording of your album if they think it will make them money. They can help you get a big name engineer, producer and mixer for your recording. You can record in the biggest, baddest, most expensive studio you like, and if its halfway across the country they'll fly you there and put you in a hotel. They have offices full of people who can market, advertise, and promote the hell out of your album once it's recorded. They also have access to major distribution networks that will get your album printed, packaged, and delivered to every Tower and Sam Goody Record store in the country.

Now, it's easy to start your own label, but I guarantee YOUR label will not be able to do all these things unless you have millions of dollars and can hire a bunch of people to work for you. If your only goal is to make original music that you can be proud of and sell to your buddies, then making your own label is fine. If you want your shit in stores and on the radio, you'd better get a record deal.

Yeah - But there are exceptions

"The whole point of record labels existing is because they can do things that most bands/artists cannot do by themselves"

Look at Jack Johnson, man. He releases his shit on his own label and is making a killing. He was smart in that he used something else that he was good at - making surf films - to market his music. I'm almost finished my first CD and I'll be forming a label to release it and market it on my own. I'm going to have to market it myself anyway and the ONLY way I'm going to get anywhere in this business is to establish a following. So, if it turns out that I can do that, why would I turn the reignes over to some other cat after having done all of the ground work myself?

obgenius said:
The whole point of record labels existing is because they can do things that most bands/artists cannot do by themselves, mainly fund an album's production. They can afford to spend $50,000 on the recording of your album if they think it will make them money. They can help you get a big name engineer, producer and mixer for your recording. You can record in the biggest, baddest, most expensive studio you like, and if its halfway across the country they'll fly you there and put you in a hotel. They have offices full of people who can market, advertise, and promote the hell out of your album once it's recorded. They also have access to major distribution networks that will get your album printed, packaged, and delivered to every Tower and Sam Goody Record store in the country.

Now, it's easy to start your own label, but I guarantee YOUR label will not be able to do all these things unless you have millions of dollars and can hire a bunch of people to work for you. If your only goal is to make original music that you can be proud of and sell to your buddies, then making your own label is fine. If you want your shit in stores and on the radio, you'd better get a record deal.

All I ever read is how the record company won't listen to my demo, the record company won't sign me, the record company thinks I'm too old, the record company doesn't think I fit the image, the record company doesn't think there's a market for my music, the record company didn't promote me, the record company released my work before it was ready, the record company froze my royalties, the record company is paying the musicians pennies and they're paying themselves dollars, the record company owns the masters and I can't release my own work...

Music is about communication. If you create it, it's your responsibility to get it out there. I think it's great that nowadays musicians can do that without waiting around for a record company to do it for you. I mean, if you don't meet their criteria (which was pre-determined in some damn focus group), then you have lost. Nobody is going to care more about the music than the person that created it. Take your destiny into your own hands and put out your own product. Put it out there... make it available to the world, and you will learn a lot. Life is about gambling. If you find you can't do something, eliminate the barriers (something that, like writing music, takes creativity), and keep pushing forward.

You're not going to make a million bucks, sure... but all the money you make is YOURS and not the record company's.

Start your own record company. Or you can sit around and do nothing because some record company has passed on you.

Great thread so far...

Why would you sign with a major label, to make $250,000 after selling a million,

when you could go indie and make a million from selling only 100,000? (outta the trunk theory)

The business of music is one of the toughest out there I feel...just stay on top of your ish :cool:

Nandoram said:
All I ever read is how the record company won't listen to my demo, the record company won't sign me, the record company thinks I'm too old, the record company doesn't think I fit the image, the record company doesn't think there's a market for my music, the record company didn't promote me, the record company released my work before it was ready, the record company froze my royalties, the record company is paying the musicians pennies and they're paying themselves dollars, the record company owns the masters and I can't release my own work...

Music is about communication. If you create it, it's your responsibility to get it out there. I think it's great that nowadays musicians can do that without waiting around for a record company to do it for you. I mean, if you don't meet their criteria (which was pre-determined in some damn focus group), then you have lost. Nobody is going to care more about the music than the person that created it. Take your destiny into your own hands and put out your own product. Put it out there... make it available to the world, and you will learn a lot. Life is about gambling. If you find you can't do something, eliminate the barriers (something that, like writing music, takes creativity), and keep pushing forward.

You're not going to make a million bucks, sure... but all the money you make is YOURS and not the record company's.

Start your own record company. Or you can sit around and do nothing because some record company has passed on you.

You're missing something here.
Some of those people who complain along the lines indicated want to be megastars with all the trappings that goes with it. They think they could be the next Eminem if it wasn't for the record label being too ignorant to recognise their tallents! They know you aren't going to be a megastar by releasing 2000 copies of your own CD!

For those of us who left such daydreams behind then the independent route is the way to go, cutting out the middlemen, not making money but having the satisfaction of control over the work, the products the output, etc.

But if becoming a 'star' is what people want then they still need a large label behind them.

glynb said:
You're missing something here.
Some of those people who complain along the lines indicated want to be megastars with all the trappings that goes with it. They think they could be the next Eminem if it wasn't for the record label being too ignorant to recognise their tallents! They know you aren't going to be a megastar by releasing 2000 copies of your own CD!

For those of us who left such daydreams behind then the independent route is the way to go, cutting out the middlemen, not making money but having the satisfaction of control over the work, the products the output, etc.

But if becoming a 'star' is what people want then they still need a large label behind them.

If some people want to do the "star" trip, then you're absolutely right... the record company is what they can call home. I don't even consider those kinds of people as musicians. They come and go. When I wrote the above, I was referring to music lovers FIRST... the people that have gone to the trouble of learning the mechanics of recording, learning what gear to use, who spend time on forums like this one to LEARN to get better, who write songs, record, mix, master, design cd packages, put together promotional packets, and ultimately release their work. To do all that stuff, you have to love the music first. Those are the people who should form their own labels, and release their work. They don't have to release anybody else's work... just their own.

I used to be in the comics industry, and it's the same thing over there. All the wannabes want to work for DC or Marvel. To do that you have to give them everything you create (ala Jack Kirby, and everybody working at Marvel). And they get nothing but the chance to write a SPIDERMAN comic. They are used and spit out... they are not hired when they get older. How much money did Gene Colan and Marv Wolfman make off BLADE? Nothing. Same thing with record companies. Why are people in such a hurry to give it all away? Why give away your property? Why give away something the corporation could never create on their own?

The complaints I listed were from actual musicians that have had those problems. BOSTON 2 was taken from Tom Scholz before he completed it. Also, Scholz's royalties were frozen (illegally, as determined in the lawsuit) when he didn't deliver THIRD STAGE, which was eventually completed (even if it took fricking forever).

And except for a select few, record companies are guilty of ageism. What about all of the musicians out there over 25 who want record deals, but who will never get one because the record companies only cater to the 15-25 market?

randyfromde said:
Doesn't it depend on what your focus is? If you want to be a businessman, then be a businessman. If you want to be a musician, be a musician. If you want to be a recording engineer, then be a recording engineer.

Time spent doing one is time not spent perfecting the other.

I would like to own a record company, but my strong points are business, music, recording (in that order). So for me, it would make sense to take care of the business aspect, but it would have to be for another artist. Knowing the other two helps understand what goes on in the process, but I'd never think that I could do them all and be successful.

Couldn't disagree with you more... one of the things I believe most musicians and actors and other performing artists seem to forget is this simple truth:

You're in (or are trying to be in) the pulic eye... this means one simple truth: You are doing PR work 24/7 every thing you do is a representation of who you are and what you represent... From the moment you wake up in the morning till the time you go to bed at night you are your own Public Relations Rep... And a PR Rep with no business savvey is doomed to failure.

And don't (anyone) give me the crap about "That's what you hire PR people for."

If that's the case, then I guess George Michael's little public jerk fest was to boost his career opprotunities?

Or Paul Rubin (Pee Wee Herman) did his little stunt to increase his popularity in the public eye...

EVERYTHING you do reflects on you as both a person and a musician (artist; actor; doctor; lawyer; indian chief; whatever!)... The minute you rely on someone else to maintain your Public Image you're doomed... cause no matter how much you pay them they can't fix it if you really screw-up.

Be a business man (person) first - if you have the talent and dedication then the music will follow ... I would bet 20 to 1 odds that if you asked any successful musician out there they'd tell you "You have to take care of business first." Why? Because business doesn't take care of itself.

Point is any successful musician is up to their ears in their OWN business... Why do you think Madona (I hate her - but she's a good example) was so successful in the 80's? SHE took control of her own image and had her hands in EVERY aspect of what went on in the business of her career.

Prince (Hate him too) is another example of amazing success... do you think he let anyone do anything without checking it out with him first?

There's room for both - if there wasn't most of our "heros" (for lack of a better word at this time) wouldn't have existed... they would have been used; abused and tossed aside... some were... and the ones that came back did so because they took control of their own business and MADE it happen.

- Tanlith -

This rant brought to you by: Ex-Lax

tanlith said:
Couldn't disagree with you more... one of the things I believe most musicians and actors and other performing artists seem to forget is this simple truth:

You're in (or are trying to be in) the pulic eye... this means one simple truth: You are doing PR work 24/7 every thing you do is a representation of who you are and what you represent... From the moment you wake up in the morning till the time you go to bed at night you are your own Public Relations Rep... And a PR Rep with no business savvey is doomed to failure.

And don't (anyone) give me the crap about "That's what you hire PR people for."

If that's the case, then I guess George Michael's little public jerk fest was to boost his career opprotunities?

Or Paul Rubin (Pee Wee Herman) did his little stunt to increase his popularity in the public eye...

EVERYTHING you do reflects on you as both a person and a musician (artist; actor; doctor; lawyer; indian chief; whatever!)... The minute you rely on someone else to maintain your Public Image you're doomed... cause no matter how much you pay them they can't fix it if you really screw-up.

Be a business man (person) first - if you have the talent and dedication then the music will follow ... I would bet 20 to 1 odds that if you asked any successful musician out there they'd tell you "You have to take care of business first." Why? Because business doesn't take care of itself.

Point is any successful musician is up to their ears in their OWN business... Why do you think Madona (I hate her - but she's a good example) was so successful in the 80's? SHE took control of her own image and had her hands in EVERY aspect of what went on in the business of her career.

Prince (Hate him too) is another example of amazing success... do you think he let anyone do anything without checking it out with him first?

There's room for both - if there wasn't most of our "heros" (for lack of a better word at this time) wouldn't have existed... they would have been used; abused and tossed aside... some were... and the ones that came back did so because they took control of their own business and MADE it happen.

- Tanlith -

This rant brought to you by: Ex-Lax

I totally agree. Great post, Tanlith!!!!!

And I would add that if you create it, it's your responsibility to get it out there! You can't rely on anyone else.

Nandoram said:
I totally agree. Great post, Tanlith!!!!!

And I would add that if you create it, it's your responsibility to get it out there! You can't rely on anyone else.

Thanks! Glad to see I'm not the only one here with common sense. I'm just tired of hearing people whine about how they wanna be famous and get signed but aren't willing to get off their arse and DO something about it.

I'm involved in several music related BBS's and I hear the same stuff all the time from everywhere I turn. Many (NOT ALL) musicians aren't willing to do anything beyond playing their respective instrument. And they somehow expect to get famous...

The term "Paying your dues." exists for a reason. It basicly means you will have to WORK YOUR NUTZ OFF to get where you want to be in this industry. You WILL have to do things you DON'T want to do. You WILL have to play the ocasional freebie for pulicity sake. You WILL have to lose the premadona "I'm the best thing since emminem / Elvis / Van Halen / Ozzy etc..." attitude and accept the fact that no one cares unless you're willing to REALLY put yourself out there!

Believe me, at 36yrs of age I went through that "All I wanna do is play - leave me alone." phase, and as a result, I'm 36yrs old and well known in my community as an outstanding guitarist - but hey... I'm not famous, I don't play in a band, and I work in the IT Industry.

I did have a nice period in the late 80s early 90s where I toured Canada a couple times and opened for Nazareth twice. And although I was no where NEAR being famous I DID live on a tour bus for 6+ months both times. (It wasn't the nicest bus, bit it was the SAME size as and "megastar's" (A converted Grey Hound) and I tell you this. If you think stars live a pampered life, try living on a bus with yout 3 best friends for half a year. Was way too stressful for me.

I didn't want to do the work involved in becoming a "megastar" and as a result I ended up putting the same ammount of work in learning IT (Info. tech.). Now I do something I hate instead of something I love. Don't fall into the same trap. No matter WHAT you decide, at some point you WILL have to work for your living. Just make the RIGHT decision for you. if music is what you want to do then DO it!

GET OFF YOUR COLLECTIVE ARSES AND DO IT!

- Tanlith -

P.S. Before someone decides to retort by telling me to take my own advice remember - I said I found it too stressful at the age of 19 - I definitely don't want to go through it at 36. I MADE my choices and I'm willing to live with them. This is about YOU and YOUR choices.

This rant brought to you by Prozak

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
The cream always rises. If you're good, you'll get there.

:confused: In the most polite way possibe: I disagree with you whole heartedly. How good you are has nothing....NOTHING to do with getting a recording contract. You can sound like God himself, but unless the record company fully believes they can make a mint from your record sales, you are going nowhere.

How do they determine if you will make them money?? Easy. First you have to understand the general public is where the money comes from. They don't want to hear anything new, original, groundbreaking, or even good. They want the same thing regurgitated to them in different ways over and over and over. Hell...most don't even care about music at all. Image is key almost everywhere. Occasionally there is an original act that gets out, but in that case I am afraid it is because the public was told that so and so is great, and everyone just believes it because they don't want to be the nerd who doesn't like the next big thing.

I have to admit though, that 99 out of 100 bands/singers I hear just plain suck. The usual reasons are they try REALLY REALLY hard to sound EXACTLY like someone who is famous and have no soul of their own, or they try REALLY REALLY hard to be "original" that they end up dong things that just do not sound good - but it IS original. Hardly anyone puts themselves on the line and expresses what is really inside. So I guess there is some merit to "if you are good they will come", but not a lot. And it won't get you far.

So, friends, I must agree with everyone else here who is saying....GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND DO IT YOUR DAMN SELF!! That's the ONLY way you will ever have a decent shot at "making it", whatever that means to you.

Zed10R said:
:confused: In the most polite way possibe: I disagree with you whole heartedly. How good you are has nothing....NOTHING to do with getting a recording contract. You can sound like God himself, but unless the record company fully believes they can make a mint from your record sales, you are going nowhere.

How do they determine if you will make them money?? Easy. First you have to understand the general public is where the money comes from. They don't want to hear anything new, original, groundbreaking, or even good. They want the same thing regurgitated to them in different ways over and over and over. Hell...most don't even care about music at all. Image is key almost everywhere. Occasionally there is an original act that gets out, but in that case I am afraid it is because the public was told that so and so is great, and everyone just believes it because they don't want to be the nerd who doesn't like the next big thing.

I have to admit though, that 99 out of 100 bands/singers I hear just plain suck. The usual reasons are they try REALLY REALLY hard to sound EXACTLY like someone who is famous and have no soul of their own, or they try REALLY REALLY hard to be "original" that they end up dong things that just do not sound good - but it IS original. Hardly anyone puts themselves on the line and expresses what is really inside. So I guess there is some merit to "if you are good they will come", but not a lot. And it won't get you far.

Amen!

So, friends, I must agree with everyone else here who is saying....GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND DO IT YOUR DAMN SELF!! That's the ONLY way you will ever have a decent shot at "making it", whatever that means to you.

I thought I just said that above... *grin*

:D :D :D

- Tanlith -

Actually something JUST occured to me...

I spent alot of time working at Ford Motor Company a few years ago when I had an IT contract with them. And I noticed something bout that place.

They'd rather pay 20 incompetent people to work for them doing a half assed job than 10 doing nothing at all... think about it. At least the incometent folk are willing to show up and TRY.

Same thing here. Anyone ever stop to think that maybe the crap music we hear on the radio is because the BEST of the best are too busy waiting for fame to fall from the sky, land in their driveway, walk into their garage and offer them a contract?

I've met some REAL crappy musicians that REALLY spend a lot of time effort and their own money to do everything they can to make it. One girl I knew sucked really bad... she worked as a stripper and spent every spare penny she could gather to put together a shitty demo, and tried to shop it around. Even after she was told outright by EVEYONE who heard her stuff that she was shitty she went and made ANOTHER demo and pretty much spent 2X the amount on it. She also went out and took singing lessons and is better (though she still sucks - seems to sing at the "bottom" of every note, not quite flat, but not right on either) and now she's playing in a band and doing gigs...

Instead of stitting around bitching about the crappy musicians who are on the radio (aperently because they are WILLING to put some genuine WORK into it) why not DO something about it?

- Tanlith -

P.S. - Again - don't tell me to take my own advice - nowhere on this BBS have I ever bitched about my not making it. But I have heard some really impressive stuff in the clinic here and I wonder to myself "Why are these guys not doing something about it?" -- then I look around somemore and see them bitching about not getting anywhere.

tanlith said:
Anyone ever stop to think that maybe the crap music we hear on the radio is because the BEST of the best are too busy waiting for fame to fall from the sky, land in their driveway, walk into their garage and offer them a contract?

I've met some REAL crappy musicians that REALLY spend a lot of time effort and their own money to do everything they can to make it. One girl I knew sucked really bad... she worked as a stripper and spent every spare penny she could gather to put together a shitty demo, and tried to shop it around. Even after she was told outright by EVEYONE who heard her stuff that she was shitty she went and made ANOTHER demo and pretty much spent 2X the amount on it. She also went out and took singing lessons and is better (though she still sucks - seems to sing at the "bottom" of every note, not quite flat, but not right on either) and now she's playing in a band and doing gigs...

Instead of stitting around bitching about the crappy musicians who are on the radio (aperently because they are WILLING to put some genuine WORK into it) why not DO something about it?

- Tanlith -

P.S. - Again - don't tell me to take my own advice - nowhere on this BBS have I ever bitched about my not making it. But I have heard some really impressive stuff in the clinic here and I wonder to myself "Why are these guys not doing something about it?" -- then I look around somemore and see them bitching about not getting anywhere.

Pretty good points there. You have more faith in people than I do, but I DO see your point.

There does seem to be a relationship between skill/talent and the willingness to work hard. The great musicians I have met seem to have less intrest in really going far. They seem to be more satisfied making music for them selves and enjoying their art. The less talented ones have a very high drive to work and get out there, only to be harrassed and told in no uncertain terms that they suck.

I'm not sure what drives this behavior, but in my negative nature I think the gifted musicians have a sense of confidence and contentment within themselves that the wannabe's just don't have. The wannabe feels like there is something to prove, often has to wrestle with his ego, and seeks validation.

There are benefits to starting out as a wannabe. That way you have the drive to get out there and do the hard work. By the time you develop your skills and hopefully find your talent, you have learned how to do what you need to be in order to get some exposure and maybe even attract some attention to yourself.

The really talented people, in my opinion, are much more likely to have the mindset that they don't need no stinkin' contract. If they get one, great. If not, who cares. They are happy just to make music, even if it is just for them selves.

Is this what you were getting at, Tanlith??

I still think the amount of crap we hear on the radio has much more to do with the fact that the majority of society truly likes it that way. That's why the same old songs are so overplayed on rock stations and...well I don't follow cookie cutter pop music, but I have noticed that it is all written to blend into the background. With very few exceptions, it all very friendly and safe, low key and low energy. Easy to ignore. Just the way the public likes it.

Record label in the sence of trying to get your artists or you on the air nationally and having commercial chart success: no. However, I might very well start my own company or join a small company to great music for video, film, commercial material, games, phones etc. That is a totally different bussiness though, and I would totally not do it to get recognision, that would be out of the question anyway.

Zed10R said:
Pretty good points there. You have more faith in people than I do, but I DO see your point.

There does seem to be a relationship between skill/talent and the willingness to work hard. The great musicians I have met seem to have less intrest in really going far. They seem to be more satisfied making music for them selves and enjoying their art. The less talented ones have a very high drive to work and get out there, only to be harrassed and told in no uncertain terms that they suck.

I'm not sure what drives this behavior, but in my negative nature I think the gifted musicians have a sense of confidence and contentment within themselves that the wannabe's just don't have. The wannabe feels like there is something to prove, often has to wrestle with his ego, and seeks validation.

There are benefits to starting out as a wannabe. That way you have the drive to get out there and do the hard work. By the time you develop your skills and hopefully find your talent, you have learned how to do what you need to be in order to get some exposure and maybe even attract some attention to yourself.

The really talented people, in my opinion, are much more likely to have the mindset that they don't need no stinkin' contract. If they get one, great. If not, who cares. They are happy just to make music, even if it is just for them selves.

Is this what you were getting at, Tanlith??

Yep - looks like we're on the same page amigo!

I still think the amount of crap we hear on the radio has much more to do with the fact that the majority of society truly likes it that way. That's why the same old songs are so overplayed on rock stations and...well I don't follow cookie cutter pop music, but I have noticed that it is all written to blend into the background. With very few exceptions, it all very friendly and safe, low key and low energy. Easy to ignore. Just the way the public likes it.

Actually, did you realize that if you had $1,000,000 to spend and a product that was Genre apropriate and "decent" (Meaning it meets the basic requirements for radio play) then you could very well "engineer" it into a #1 hit?

The large record companies do that all the time. The Billboard top 100 is a list of the most PLAYED music, not the most REQUESTED. So what does that mean? Well, the record companies lauch a new album the same way any company launches an ad campaign. Pay for airtime. Pay a radio station to play song X 5 times a day for a period of 1 month and you got the makings for an excellent marketing campaign. People get the tune caught in their heads rthen they gotta have the CD... those that can't afford the CD call in and say "play it please."

Most of the music that makes it is "catchy" - like that damn Oscar Meyer Weiner song - "Oh I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner..." There - Bet that'll be stuck in your head for the next couple hours... So if you play it a few times people have it burned in their memory. It's no secret that advertisers use NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) to aide them in ad campaigns. And NLP is a basic course offered in any reputable Phychology class. The average person walks around in a semi-preprogrammed state - much like Pavlov's dog they WILL drool when the dinner bell rings.

- Tanlith -

This rant sponsered by StayFree - Used by terrorists everywhere... cause they just don't know any better.

Back