Why not just buy...

RyanEmerson

Why is a PA head better than buying a non-powered mixer and a power amp? It's not hard to get a 12 or 16 channel mixer for $300 or so and then a 1,000 wattt power amp for a little less that that. But a 12-channel, 1,000 watt powered mixer would be about $1,000. Why is this? Is there' something I'm missing???

having interchangeable parts is good...if something breaks..you can replace it . as for a 1k power amp? i dont think they make them for under 300 but you dont need 1k watts either do you? a 300 watt amp will do just fine for bands playing shows. unless you plan on playing a park ampitheater. and then I dont think 1k watts would be enough. if you have other uses for the mixer besides the stage, like stage and studio, then get the power amp seperate and dont stress it....or get a powered mixer and dont worry about rough handling your non powered mixer

RyanEmerson said:
Why is a PA head better than buying a non-powered mixer and a power amp? It's not hard to get a 12 or 16 channel mixer for $300 or so and then a 1,000 wattt power amp for a little less that that. But a 12-channel, 1,000 watt powered mixer would be about $1,000. Why is this? Is there' something I'm missing???
Personally I use a mixer but lots of peeps like the convenience of having everything wrapped up in one little bundle, ipso facto the pa head.

I've said it before . . . powered console mixers are a dangerous combo of heavy and fragile. I guess we can add expensive to that. I like the powered mixers in a cabinet up to 8 channels. After that, get a mixer & a power amp & put 'em in a rack case.

mshilarious said:
I've said it before . . . powered console mixers are a dangerous combo of heavy and fragile. I guess we can add expensive to that. I like the powered mixers in a cabinet up to 8 channels. After that, get a mixer & a power amp & put 'em in a rack case.

I con-kurr. For me it was also if I wanted to upgrade mixer or power, I could do it separately, and grow my system gradually.

I use a Mackie 808M which has 1200 watts and weighs 36 pounds. That's why I use it ........ quick and light. I run it to two trapezoids (2-15s and a horn ) and then use a Crown to drive my monitors.

Obviously if I need more channels I'm out of luck and I have to go to my big rig (big Soundcraft board and many power amps ) but it's been about two years since I've needed it and I play some decent sized rooms with a fairly loud band.
The Mackie does fine but the only reason to use it is the quick and easy factor ........ it's not inherently better in any way.

Back