Why is Sonar so quiet?

tombuur

I have found that when exporting a wave file from Sonar 3 and then playing it from Windows Media or whatever it will play louder than from inside Sonar. Why? Where's the master volume control for Sonar?

ha, that is odd, i was thinking that last night when i exported my first ix our of sonar 3. the best way to get the volume up (if you don't already do this) is to have the output of all your tracks go to a master bus and have that jacked up. I tried bouncing all of my tracks to one new track without having them go to a master first and it was considerably quieter.

M-Audio Delta 66.

WDM or whatever its called the one that's supposed to be as good as ASIO. All setting are set at full volume for the soundcard.

its louder because your volume levels on sonar are different from media player. for me sonar will crank it clear as day..but when i switch it over to media player....i hear a considerable loss in clarity but also a loss in volume....i started using a 4 busses for drums, guitar, bass and vocals and i noticed a difference there...but anyway thats kinda off the subject

bounce your mix down to stereo then compress(the ideal way) the stereo mix to get your level up if you don't know compression yet then just raise the fader

If you just want it louder, you can try the Wavehammer in SoundForge.

It's not that I want it louder. The same wave is louder in any other program. Media Player, Cool Edit, whatever. Well, maybe I will have to look at the bus thing.

Also make sure you run both app with same driver mode if you intend to test them. WMP will most likely run on MME or WDM driver. Different driver mode *could* give different level heard as result of different configuration. Not to say one is better or worse than another, they're just different.

;)
Jaymz

Back