Why is my sound so "tinny"?

crgman

I am miking steel string acoustic and I am getting a very tinny sound with a sometimes explosive poppy bottom end. I am miking with an AKG C3000B and an Oktava MC012 with the cardioid capsule. The AKG is about 6-8 inches away and 3-4 inches above the whole. I have used the Oktava both above and below pointing to the middle of the neck anywhere from 10 inches away to 2 feet.

Running through a dbx 31 band EQ post trim through the inserts on a Mackie VLZ 1202. I set the EQ and later checked the c3000b frequency response only to find that I ended up "flattening" the response of the mic! Is the AKG c3000b just that bright? I have only had the mic for a month.

Recording on a Roland VS-880EX.

The guitar is a spruce solid top, maple sides and back by Hohner.

It doesn't sound terrible, but it is lacking that big in-your-face feel. How do I get that sound?

-c

Best check that you haven't got phase problems.

two mics near eachother can often cause them and takee a lot of bottom of the sound away.

You can get great results with the Mackie pre's so I doubt that's your problem. I've also had good luck with both the mic's you're useing. I'd stay away from the 31 band EQ like the plague. And yes, the C-3000 is that bright. The high end is "hyped" but it's still a very useable mic. Can you post and example of what you're talking about?

Back