Why is my computer locking up?

Nightbanana

My computer has recently started locking up in the middle of a cubase session I am currently working on. I'm using a pentium III 700, Aardvark LX6. I only have about 2 minutes of audio recorded at 24 bit, and about 4 VST instruments loaded. My system performance is at 53%. Oh yeah, I have 384 megs of RAM. Do I need another hard drive? I'm currently only using one 20.4 gig hard drive. Will storing all of my audio/midi on a new hard drive keep my system from locking up, or is this a problem of recording certain tracks at 24 bit, while others were recorded at 16bit? If I do need a new hard drive, should I opt for a firewire drive, or an internal IDE drive? I don't have a scsi interface, or scsi motherboard so I think that is out the question. Please help, any info is appreciated.

It is highly recommended that you use a separate hard drive for audio. More RAM never hurts either.

Locking up of computers is often a result of:
a shabby OS;
faulty RAM;
a CPU that is running too hot.

Replacing any of those may be the solution.
I don't see how using only one drive would make Cubase lock up.

christiaan said:
Locking up of computers is often a result of:
a shabby OS;
faulty RAM;
a CPU that is running too hot.

Replacing any of those may be the solution.
I don't see how using only one drive would make Cubase lock up.

It wouldn't necessarily.

Nightbanana said:
any info is appreciated

Nightbanana - sorry for going off topic. You wanted to know what why Cubase is locking up and I instead gave you a couple tips to maximize your performance. My bad.

Thanks

I found out the problem. I was using a plug-in reverb which was eating up a ton of processing power. As soon as I disabled the unit everything was running fine. I guess I'll need to install some more ram, or buy a more powerful system. Thanks for your help.

Back