Why is digital audio so rare in synths and mixers?

Back to the original question, I would expect that the main drawback is in the latency resulting from analogue-to-digital (and vice versa) conversion.

Sorry if someone already mentioned it, but it's a rather obvious one that should not take too many words to point out :)

I think what Airlane wants is a fully digital mixer, analogous to a basic mic mixer or interface, where a half dozen digital devices could be plugged in like so many microphones. Route each device to it's own input channel, and hit record. Those aren't so common. If you're recording, then it would be digital all the way, but if you want to hear any sound, at some point it needs to be converted to via D/A.

I can't think of anything that sets up like that but there's probably something out there somewhere. I'm guessing it will be expensive as well, otherwise lots of keyboard players would be using them.

Last edited:
Two problems with that. First, odds are there will be at least some analog sources. The bigger issue is the either all the source devices have to be externally clocked or inputs need to be resampled.

True. I have a UI24R for live sound, but the only digital I/O is USB (for direct to USB drive multitrack recording, USB drive for 2-track playback and connection to a computer for DAW) and Ethernet for cascading two mixers. There's no SP/DIF, AES, ADAT or Dante.
Going back to 2012 -

Access Virus TI - EMU PROTEUS 2500 - EMU Proteus 2000 - Emu Audity 2000 - EMU Extreme Lead-1 (XL-1) Turbo -Technics WSA1R
Yamaha MOTIF RACK ES - Yamaha Motif Rack XS - Roland XV5050 - Roland Fantom XR - Waldorf Q Rac - Novation Ultranova

**LIGHTPIPE/TOSLINK OPTICAL DIGITAL OUTPUT (2 channel)**
Alesis S4 (ADAT) - Alesis S4+ (ADAT) - Korg TR Rack - Korg Triton Rack - Yamaha MOTIF RACK ES - Kurzweil K2500R (with digital I/O option) - Kurzweil K2600r (with digital I/O option)

In 2023 There are a ton of digital output synths.

Dante is too expensive - AES doesn't work AFAIK.

How many only have digital output? How many have some provision for external clocking? What do you think would happen at a gig if you handed the sound guy a coaxial S/PDIF cable or a Lightpipe?

Connecting one digital source to an interface in a studio is one thing. Connecting several to a mixer is an entirely different situation.

You've been giving out solid info to people for years. I thought you'd want to know it's not a lot of bother. (y)
Ok well T in C a bit but I read a week or so ago where a guy said "you are supposed to be able to do this with a mac but I couldn't get it to work" If I can find the source I shall sic you on 'im!

Dave.

Back